Splitscreen bullet nose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitscreen bullet nose

Are these rare with the split front screen ???

No, the body style determines if the car has a one-piece or two-piece windshield ("front screen").
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I believe the only 1950 models with the one piece windshield (wind screen) were the Champion convertible and Starlight, plus all Commanders and the Land Cruiser.
      Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
      '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
      '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

I have two opinions. First is, all Studebakers should be saved. Second is, a '50 Champion four door in this condition shouldn't bring much more than his opening bid and is probably a parts car at best. Although, it does come with two spare tires and an extra camshaft! In ten years the little six sedans will be so rare we will curse our hindsight.
        Last edited by rockne10; 12-10-2012, 06:53 PM.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Some of the exterior trim and the radio is worth the opening bid. My 1950 4Dr was a parts car for a convertible. I bought a package of 3 cars. The 4Dr has a good solid body and my wife really liked the suicide doors. Since, I found a good front clip and a rusty old Starlight Coupe to replenish the missing 4Dr parts plus parts for the convertible. Life goes on and 3 of the 4 1950 Champions will be on the road again. Lots of work ahead, but it's for a good cause, Studebaker driving enjoyment.
          Last edited by thunderations; 12-10-2012, 08:35 PM.
          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
          1950 Champion Convertible
          1950 Champion 4Dr
          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

47-50 5 passenger coupes, convertibles, and Land Cruisers got the one-piece curved windshield. The sedans and business coupe (3 pass) got the two-piece flat windshield. All 51-52 used the one-piece w/s.
            Last edited by kurtruk; 12-11-2012, 07:15 PM. Reason: Perry corrected me.
            KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Kurturk, to clarify, if by 3 passenger you mean business coupe, it has a two-piece flat w/s
              Perry
              \'50 Business Champion
              \'50 Starlight Champion
              \'60 Lark Convertible,
              \'63 GT R1,
              \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

I think I've only seen two cars with the split screen and they were both 1950s

Comment

Originally posted by Rooneytoons View Post
                  I think I've only seen two cars with the split screen and they were both 1950s
                  Yes; all models in '51 used the "bent" windshield. As Howard indicated, in '50 only the convertibles, Starlights and Land Cruisers used the single piece.
                  Last edited by rockne10; 12-11-2012, 09:52 PM.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

My 50 4 door Commander has a two piece windshield.

Kurturk is correct (edited) according to the 1950 body parts catalog.
                    Frank DuVal

50 Commander 4 door

Comment

Poor car looks like its been to the war, looks like some savable parts though.

It's interesting to look at the transition Studebaker made from split windshields to single piece curved glass. The styling department at the time was naggning Engineering to make curved glass. However Engineering's response was that split windshields are cheaper to make (because of them being flat glass), and the center bar was a reinforcing member; thus Studebaker's engineering dept. never wanted to get away from split windshields. I have seen photos of 1953 C/K proposals that have a bar going right down the front indicating that they intended to use split glass. Bob Bourke argued with the engineers to make it a single piece, but they answered that since the '53 has such a large span roof that it would need the extra support; which it doesn't. In the end I am glad they made that windshield a single piece.
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

This car has a blue horn button. That can't be stock can it?
                        John
                        1950 Champion
                        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                        Holdrege NE

Comment

Originally posted by Lothar View Post
                          This car has a blue horn button. That can't be stock can it?
                          I saw that too -- must be someone's individual taste...
                          sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                          Regal Deluxe Trim
                          Automatic transmission
                          46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Working...
                          X