Nice Studebaker recognition on TV!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Studebaker recognition on TV!

I watched a very nice new 2-hour documentary on cable last night entitled "WWII from Space". A high-quality production using CG and reviewing WWII from the perspective of a satellite. Many aspects of America's industrial growth as a result of the war effort was covered. It was mentioned that many manufacturers were converted to war production, but no specific company names were mentioned. Later in the show, our Lend-Lease program with the Soviet Union was brought up and, finally, Studebaker got it's due respect! They put the "Studebaker" name up, along with a picture of the US 6X6 truck and the narrator spoke of Studebaker and how the trucks had a significant impact on the Soviet's ability to fight back against the Nazi's. I believe Studebaker was the only company mentioned in the entire broadcast.

--Paul

I saw that show also and was flabbergasted to learn that Studebaker made over 500,000 of them for the war effort - quite an accomplishment and another reason to be proud of our chosen marque...Bob

Comment

Originally posted by AnAvanti4Bob View Post
      I saw that show also and was flabbergasted to learn that Studebaker made over 500,000 of them for the war effort - quite an accomplishment and another reason to be proud of our chosen marque...Bob
      Not quite 500,000. The exact number was 197,618. I might add that the Studebaker produced WWII 6 X 6 and 6 X 4's were actually assembled trucks with Hercules engines and Timken axles. Studebaker made the frames and cabs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wwii truck russian.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1676228
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by pgothard View Post
        I watched a very nice new 2-hour documentary on cable last night entitled "WWII from Space". A high-quality production using CG and reviewing WWII from the perspective of a satellite. Many aspects of America's industrial growth as a result of the war effort was covered. It was mentioned that many manufacturers were converted to war production, but no specific company names were mentioned. Later in the show, our Lend-Lease program with the Soviet Union was brought up and, finally, Studebaker got it's due respect! They put the "Studebaker" name up, along with a picture of the US 6X6 truck and the narrator spoke of Studebaker and how the trucks had a significant impact on the Soviet's ability to fight back against the Nazi's. I believe Studebaker was the only company mentioned in the entire broadcast.

--Paul
        Thay also said the Studebaker trucks were made in Detroit!
        Jack White
        Charlotte,NC
        North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Working...
        X