Non Alignment of Water Pump Pulley Commander 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non Alignment of Water Pump Pulley Commander 6

I'm putting a 50 Truck Commander 6 into my 38 Coupe. The 50 Commander 6 engine came without a water pump pulley - I thought I could use the pulley from the orginal 38 engine but when installed on the 50 water pump it sticks out to far and does not align with the crank pulley. Does anyone know the part # or years that is needed?

Truck Water Pumps have a different shaft length from Cars on the Champion Engines, I would think that could also be the case on your Commander 6.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If you can come up with the part # I will look through my stuff for one.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I'm probably sticking my foot in it but the seeable difference between a water pump for a 36 Dictator and a post war Stude Commander 6 was that the prewar puimp used a transition piece to the block. The transition added thickness so the pulley ended up farther forward.
        I "guessed" that the pumps were the same, since at the time it didn't make a difference to me I didn't look into it farther. Of course the shaft lube was different in that the 36 used a grease cup not a zerk.
        I'm hoping this might help and not be misleading as that memory was from 1987.
        Last edited by Lark Parker; 12-08-2012, 04:47 PM. Reason: I like to edit
        sigpic
        Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Working...
        X