1953 tail light question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1953 tail light question

I have recently purchased a 1955 champion 'C' model that has a 1953 front clip and also 53 tail lights. I am trying to locate tail light bezels but can only locate ones for 53 sedans. Is there a difference between the sedans and coupes bezels? thanks in advance for any replies and I know I will have more questions when I get further into this project. This is a p hoto of the left tail light and I need the right side. The bezel is 9" high and the lens is 7 1/2" high 2" wide at the bottom and is stamped 14GT.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	left_tail_light.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1736909
    Lee
    Last edited by willisl55; 12-05-2012, 12:01 PM. Reason: attach photo

Big difference in coupe and sedan bezels. Sedan bezels are quite a bit taller. Good coupe bezels are hard to find.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

At one time the coupe bezels were reproduced. Does SI have them in their catalog?
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I have some but all need work but Barry Hackney in Tx. might have some good ones and he is a forum member, what say Barry?
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

SI only has sedan bezels. Thats why I am trying to find out the difference because I cannot locate coupe bezels.

Comment

I'd put the 55 bezels back on. SI has the repops and they give better visability, especially from the sides.
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

53s come up on eBay once in a while.
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Looking for good driver, rechromed, or cores to plate?

Comment

I agree the '55 taillights give better illumination. I have one '53 C/K housing I sent out for plating. In the attempt to solder some holes shut the bottom got a hole blown in it; a peril of pot metal restoration. This could be easily filled, sanded and painted if anyone needs one they don't plan on plating. Available for the cost of USPS mail. Send a PM if interested.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I also like the '55 C/K tail lights over the '53 version....but would the '55's fit with a '53 rear bumper?

Comment

I plan on using '54 tailights on my '53 Commander Starliner. I think they look better and the lense is slightly convex so it will show from the side and be safer. I plan on painting the bezels body color, so if someone has a pair that are pitted but not cracked or dented, I would be interested.
                      Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                      '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                      '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Originally posted by willisl55 View Post
                        SI only has sedan bezels. Thats why I am trying to find out the difference because I cannot locate coupe bezels.
                        Since all 4 Fenders, and Doors are all taller on Sedans and '54 Wagons, Grilles and Tail lights do not interchange to the lower Coupes and Hardtops.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                        X