Re-retapping Manifold on 49' Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-retapping Manifold on 49' Champion

Some of you may know the story of our Champion my father in law left my wife in febuary after his passing and I spent six months resurrecting something that had set for 30 years. Well I had to hurry on a few things to get it ready by the wedding date. One which I have to redo again. I had to retap and die four holes on the manifold of which where the original bolt broke off in, I wanted to reuse the original part. Well one of the holes on the exhaust end I miss tapped by about 3/32" off center so it just enough to not get a bolt in there so it has a slight exhaust leak when it runs at higher rpms. Anyone have experience or advice how to fill that hole in and re-retap it again? Thanks

If it's only off by 3/32 it's not off by much. I would think it would be a lot easier to egg shape the hole in the exhaust manifold to get a bolt to start in your existing bolt hole.
    TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

Yeah, that sounds like a job for the rat tail file.
      You probably don't use it that much anyway.
      sigpic
      Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

If you can carefully grind that hole back towards center and then redrill and tap it for a helicoil, that might work.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I thought of just drilling out the flang on the exhaust pipe but the hole is off center toward the exhaust outlet so i wouldn't be able to get a bolt started on there because the head of the bolt would hit the pipe when trying to start the threads

Comment

Screw a bolt in the hole. Cut it off flush. Center punch and drill a new hole then tap.

Comment

grind a bit from the exhaust pipe to clear the bolt head meybe. cheers jimmijim. I like the other idea.
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

use a socket head bolt(allen wrench type)

Comment

Working...
                X