Question for you Greyhound shippers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for you Greyhound shippers

I will be shipping a car door via Greyhound soon. How have you prepared or wrapped body sheet metal when you have shipped via Greyhound? Any tips or trade secrets you can share are appreciated.

Thanks
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

i got a hood for a 1960 chevy truck came from california wrapped in cardboard no damage quick to

Comment

I have been using old trap and rapping it. It is cheap.

Comment

Realize the door is going to experience minimal handling. The driver is going to place it in the cargo bay with the intention the cargo does not shift. If you are lucky enough to get it on an express route it will probably only be handled once. If it requires a transfer it will probably only be once. I think it's the best. You could even get away with taping a good label to the sheet metal and wishing it good-bye. A layer of corrugated would probably avoid some scratches. I doubt it's necessary for safe transport.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I just shipped two NOS C/K front fenders to SoCal from here in Kentucky, via Greyhound. The new owner picked them up yesterday at the bus station. They took 18 days to get there, and one of them was lost for a few days, but eventually turned up. I believe there were three changeovers between KY and CA, and each one was a delay, and an opportunity for something to go wrong.

For packaging, I went to U-Haul and bought some of their packing supplies: cheap blankets for about $8 each, and a spool of 10" wide plastic wrap. With those items I basically wrapped the fenders into a sort of cocoon.

They arrived in OK condition, but the place where I shipped the estimated they'd be there in 48-96 hours. The 18 days it took, fell a little short of the original estimate.

Comment

I've used one of the cheap tarps from Harbor Freight. That and lots of tape. I would suggest you leave an inspection window that the station clerk can peer into. They're supposed to look INside items as a measure against someone shipping something volatile or combustible. I've had them insist that they get a look into a box I'd had all taped up on a couple of occasions. Now I take the tape gun WITH me.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Joe, what did it cost you to send those?
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It was $68.70 each, including $300 insurance (max they will insure anything). They went from Elizabethtown, KY to Indio, CA.

Comment

I have a body shop close to where I live and I always have more bubble wrap than I can use . I've shipped bumpers 5-6 times with no problem on the HOUND.

Comment

I've shipped doors and trunk lids across the country by bus. I covered them with cardboard, putting it double or triple on sharp corners, and shrink wrap them. Never had a problem.
                    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                    1950 Champion Convertible
                    1950 Champion 4Dr
                    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Never say never, have used them a few times and only once a problem, rear truck fender got lost for about 3 months new owner was told a lot of different things , like it was never here, it was here and we shipped to out to the owner, and then Findley called him and said it was there all the time,but it sure took a beating.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

I shipped a gas tank from Los Angeles to St. Petersberg, FL. Put it in a big cardboard box and filled the box with bubble wrap. It got there promptly and without any damage.
                        Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                        '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                        '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

I also use cardboard & bubble wrap & have seldom had problems. I usually put styrofoam along edges, especially the lower edge of doors to protect them from impacts. Greyhound is sometimes fast slow, and the larger the package the more likely it will sit on a cart in some terminal waiting for a bin with sufficient room.
                          Most shippers get bogged down over the holiday season and the bus companies do also, but they will often run extra busses when the demand is present.
                          I worked at the Houston Greyhound terminal handling baggage & freight while I was in college in the mid 70's.

Comment

Thanks for your ideas everyone. And here's one I will share in return. I am going to visit carpet dealers to get stout cardboard tubes to ship straight body trim in. Will wrap the pieces in foam or bubble wrap then put them in the tube.
                            Pat Dilling
                            Olivehurst, CA
                            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

There's a furniture store in town that's closing. I'm distraught because their dumpster has always been overflowing with NICE, clean packing materials! Don't know what I'm gonna do for foam sheet and bubble wrap now! And oversize cardboard containers as well!

Comment

Working...
                              X