(Stude-related) W.P. Chrysler Museum to close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Stude-related) W.P. Chrysler Museum to close

I think this is a sad thing and another reason I truly believe that when we can , we in the S.D.C. and its chapters need to continue to financially support the Studebaker National Museum.

Speaking only personally, I know that sometimes when a donation to the SNM is brought up at our chapter meeting, it is met with negativity from some. This is a mystery to me as we always have plenty in the treasury to easily cover a $500 or $750 donation annually. We usually pass it, but with a little grumbling.

Please remember to bring up the SNM at your next SDC chapter meeting. If you have the wherewithal in your club to support the SNM, please do so.

If they can't count on the chapters to help, who can they count on?

Thanks.

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Your comment about the grumbling is noteworthy.
    But it is a sometimes deserved reaction.
    As Studebaker enthusiasts, we are easily jaded by our immediate marque desires, and often lose sight of the reality of the museum business.
    That industry, and the success or failure of each location, depends on many kinds of support from 'outside' the enthusiast faction.
    That's partly why you see cross marketing planforms (ie: Porsche month, and movie car month, etc)...
    The need to affect the gate outside the inner circle is great.
    And part of the reason you see stupid money spent at some of these high visibility auctions.
    They (car museums) buy the titillating fancy TV hyped auction car to use as a 'draw' for the demographic that was watching the TV show auction...
    Anything the move the financial needle at the cash register.
    And the financing avenues are all different.
    That's why you see them sell a car they had on display (when they get a donated similar car)....
    They need money to pay for the building, heat and light, and staff, as well as insurance, marketing, printing, archival research, inventory, etc.)
    Sad to see a museum shut down because the major financial partner goes away.
    But the bad economy hits everyone, and if attendance falls, and expenses rise, it hurts them too.
    I have not seen the books, but I will bet a museum donut that the amount of monies generated by the local chapters is not that big a percentage of their revenue stream.
    Not badmouthing that , but just looking at their big financial needs pie....
    Jeff

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
    I think this is a sad thing and another reason I truly believe that when we can , we in the S.D.C. and its chapters need to continue to financially support the Studebaker National Museum.

Speaking only personally, I know that sometimes when a donation to the SNM is brought up at our chapter meeting, it is met with negativity from some. This is a mystery to me as we always have plenty in the treasury to easily cover a $500 or $750 donation annually. We usually pass it, but with a little grumbling.

Please remember to bring up the SNM at your next SDC chapter meeting. If you have the wherewithal in your club to support the SNM, please do so.

Thanks.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...seum-to-close/
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post

Thanks.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...seum-to-close/
      Bill, I couldn't agree more. Having been involved with the Studebaker National Museum since my terms as SDC President from 1984 to 1986, I am proud to see the progress the Museum has made. This is dispite the many hurdles we've had to overcome, not the least of which has been indifference over the years of some SDC Board members. It has taken us a long while but we now have the support of SDC, the City of South Bend, the State of Indiana and the Federal Government behind us. I've also watched chapter support grow over the years as well as support from the citizens of South Bend and the media, and I believe that will continue. The fate of the Chrysler Museum is unfortunate but is perhaps a wake-up call for all of us recognize. I remind all SDC members that the Studebaker National Museum is our legacy. It's there for you.
      Stu Chapman

Comment

For what it's worth, I think Bill, Stu & Jeff have kinda hit on all the diffrent facets pretty well.

In this instance, it's not yet time to panic. From what I gather in the original article, Chrysler is actually buying the assets and keeping the Museum intact (at least for now) to use as a promotional tool. With any luck, things will improve enough for the museum to resume its previous use.

It does bring out the strength/weakness of the independant museums such as the Studebaker as well as ACD. Long story short, we do need to support our assets and a museum that is dynamic and draws in new participants keeps up interest. When interest is lost the marques will lose and the vehicles become nothing but scrap.

Cheers,

Ken

Comment

Working...
        X