SOLD ...1956 Golden Hawk... SOLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOLD ...1956 Golden Hawk... SOLD

I am pleased to report the sale of my 56J to a couple in Tenn. They are buying a beautifully restored piece of Studebaker history. Am hopeful they enjoy the car while in their care. Am attaching a few shots of the car out in the front yard on a beautiful autumn day. Last three shots are of three all steel Fords, 1934 5 window coupe, 1934 Victoria, 1935 5 window coupe, we bought this fall for my wife and I to enjoy, along with the Golden Hawks we are building out this winter with the all aluminum GM drive trains.

Wanting to put a few things down on paper for the new owners. My question to those far more knowledgeable regarding this car than I....Might I suggest they change the wide whites from the bias to radial tires ? Would it be a no no for them to add power steering ? How about Turner front disc's ? My personal feeling is the car would handle better and be safer with the disc's...though the front drums and brake system does a very good job. If power steering were added ....anyone know of a nice unit available? Who would you have install it down in Tenn.? Thanks for the input.
    Attached Files

To: mike super,---Congrats on the sale! It looked to be a beautifully restored Hawk. Power steering probably should have been standard equipment in the Packard engined '56 GH. '53 -'56 complete
    Saginaw box and steering column would pretty much bolt in with some gear selector-shift rod re-work. The pump would fit also, and the Packard p/s crank pulley and the Packard p/s pump mounting
    bracket could be probably had from someone in the Packard club.

Comment

re: bias vs. radials - this was discussed today at our club meet with a couple much more knowledgeable people than i. while i had no problem driving the '51 on its 99 mile round trip - 2/3rd on an interstate - i had to really pay attention every second to stay straight. but when i let go of the wheel, there was no "big" drift. radials will be in my future.

discs: yeah, with a right hip and left knee replacement plus spinal fusions, this is on my need/want list...

power steering: not so much on mine. would be nice, but once she starts rolling, she's fine.
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Glad it went to a good home.

Yes, radials will work if installed on later Ford or Mopar wheels. The front disc conversion is no different than any other later Stude. The correct '56J PS is the very good Saginaw version. Many prefer it to the later linkage version.

Joe Hall is probably the most experienced '56J guy in the world and he's just up the road in Kentucky. Don't know if he'd consider any outside work, but he's the man.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

I personally wouldn't change a thing on that gorgeous car, except the name on the title. Beautiful!

I'd simply let the buyers know that the mods you mentioned are available should they determine for whatever reason they wish to go that route. A listing of vendors/resources is a helpful gesture.
          Andy
          62 GT

Comment

wow, nice cars...besides the Stude, that Vicky really grabs my attention. just saying, Junior.
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

The Victoria looks like a 33 to me ?
              Klif
              55 Speedster/Street Machine
              63 Avanti R2
              64 Convertible R1

Comment

Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
                The Victoria looks like a 33 to me ?
                Klif
                How do you tell the difference in a 33 and 34 ? Was advertised as a 34. Bought it out of S.Dakota. Only 400 miles since completed. Has new everything ...including a big block chevy and th400 trans. I do know there were around 7000 vicky's built in in 34 and 38,000 tudor's. Was very fortunate to buy this one ! Did so on Thanksgiving evening.

Comment

The grill on the 33 has more of a bow to it, and the surround is thinner. I can't see it, but I think the 33 had only 1 hood handle on each side. It's still a beautiful car.
                  Klif
                  55 Speedster/Street Machine
                  63 Avanti R2
                  64 Convertible R1

Comment

That is definitely a 33 grill and yes the hood handles are usually the quickest indicator.......but there are lots of differenes.
                    Headlights are also different between the 33 & 34.
                    Good Roads
                    Brian
                    Brian Woods
                    woodysrods@shaw.ca
                    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

It has '34 doors on it, you can tell from the small filled section at the back of the door glass. On '34s, the window glass slides back a few inches first before rolling down acting as a vent, '33s don't. Grille could be based off a '33 or a custom along with the hood, hard to say. A stock '34 should have two hood latches per side, '33s have one. A good way to tell them apart without a hood installed is to look for the rear latch hole at the bottom of the cowl, '33s don't have a hole and a '34 does. My friend schooled me on some of the '33-'34 stuff a while back, here's his all steel '34 Vicky.

Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Nice ride !!!! Small world Skinny....bought my car from a fellow in Rapid City South Dakota.....

Comment

Mike, someone got a beautiful 56J, you had shown me this car when you had the other 2 Golden Hawks for sale.
                          In regards to your Vicky, it appears to be a 34 with some 33 touches (hood and grille). There are several subtle differences between 33 and 34, some of which have been pointed out. The main difference in the Victoria bodies is at the rear. A 33 Victoria has a distinct "bustle" without a opening trunk. where the 34 is more of a slant back with a trunk lid that is hinged at the bottom.
                          This should tell the story.
                          Good luck with all your projects!
                          Tom T

Comment

Originally posted by ToGa 42 View Post
                            Mike, someone got a beautiful 56J, you had shown me this car when you had the other 2 Golden Hawks for sale.
                            In regards to your Vicky, it appears to be a 34 with some 33 touches (hood and grille). There are several subtle differences between 33 and 34, some of which have been pointed out. The main difference in the Victoria bodies is at the rear. A 33 Victoria has a distinct "bustle" without a opening trunk. where the 34 is more of a slant back with a trunk lid that is hinged at the bottom.
                            This should tell the story.
                            Good luck with all your projects!
                            Tom T
                            Thanks Tom....The hood and side panels on this Ford is a 3 piece..... built aftermarket by Rootlieb in California. This car has a plain hood without louvers I want to fit and paint and put on the car. All three pieces louvered is a bit much for me !! This truck lid was special hinged according to the owner. Don't know how it was originally...bottom or top hinge.

Comment

Originally posted by mike super View Post
                              >>>My question to those far more knowledgeable regarding this car than I....<<<Would it be a no no for them to add power steering ?<<<If power steering were added ....anyone know of a nice unit available?Thanks for the input.
                              Mike, does this one currently have the factory 3-Spd. O.D. or does it have the Ultra-matic ...as that can make a BIG difference when trying to convert to P/Steering on a 56J?

Comment

Working...
                              X