52 Starliner VIN plate in SPANISH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 Starliner VIN plate in SPANISH

I bought my Stude in Alabama and to get it regestered in Florida I had to get the VIN verifired by a police officer, He asked me if the car came out of Mixico, because the vin plate is in SPANISH, ???
    I hadn't looked at the vin that closle but sure enough most of the vin plate is in spanish. Is this normal or what?????

I searched the forum but nothing came up, Thanks for any info. Johnny
    Last edited by toymobile; 11-26-2012, 02:46 PM.

Si! There were some Studes assembled in Mexico and other spanish-speaking countries south of the border. It's not often one finds it's way to the states, but not unheard of either.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yes, basically what was just stated. Studebaker had a big assembly plant in Mexico.
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

The Serial Plate on my '51:

Marca Industrial Registrada Bajo No. 1629 translates as "Industrial Trademark Registered Under No. 1629."

Hecho En EUdeA translates as "Made in the U.S.A."

I've seen this on other Serial Plates but notice it is not the case on my '53.

Johnny, can you post a photo of yours?
        Last edited by rockne10; 11-26-2012, 03:34 PM. Reason: Curious
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

So I take it the Serial Number plate from a '51 shown, is from a Car built in the USA, but assembled Somewhere in South America?

Or; did all of the pre '53's with this type Serial plate have both English and Spanish, in case the bodies were knocked down shipped to South America?
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That would be my question, Rich. I haven't ordered the build sheet but VIN indicates South Bend build and the car was sold out of Williamsport, PA. Of course, built in South Bend would not preclude a CKD to Mexico but, why assemble in Mexico and ship to PA for sale? I would also be curious if the Spanish on Johnny's tag is more extensive than this.
            Last edited by rockne10; 11-26-2012, 03:45 PM.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I will post a pic later, my car is 30 miles away,

Johnny

Comment

I know of a SB built '51 not far from here and it has the Spanish/English tag. Out of curiosity I went out back and checked my '48 LC. It DOES NOT have spanish on the vin tag and I know it was also a SB built car.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

My vin tag :BUILT IN SOUTH BEND IND: Lookes a lot like ROCKEN10, Post #4 but has MEXICO on it, Iwill get pic Friday.

Johnny
                  Last edited by toymobile; 11-26-2012, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X