Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interesting story.....

....with some Studebaker Content.

Check this link for the whole story: http://www.coutant.org/mminternet/saga/index.html
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

This is a great story and entertaining to read check it out
    sigpicstudeboro

Comment

Interesting indeed, Joe. I take it you just ran across the story and are not related to any of the people, or did I read it too fast and miss something? BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

What a great history. Takes a special/different sort of person to live in the desert. I am impressed they have retained so many of the details and paperwork over all that time.
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Great story, I enjoyed the Ham radio parts.

Comment

i lived about 35 to 40 miles west of Johnson Valley in the Hesperia/Apple Valley area from '81 to '86. J.V. was a very beautiful area!

Hesperia wasn't bad either, but the last time i was there in '02, it looked like just about every other so-cal town. my "desert" was gone - parking lots and shopping malls!
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Bob: I was looking for pictures of Studebakers and travel trailers, just for the heck of it, on Google Images and came across the first picture. I clicked on the website it came from and came up with the story.

Corvanti: I did not realize how close Johnson Valley was to Hesperia. In about 1954 my dad was working with Armed Forces Broadcasting in North Hollywood and he purchased a lot in Hesperia. I was just desert at that time, much like what Johnson Valley looked like in this story. I remember the Hesperia bumper sticker my dad had on the back of our little Hillman Husky. It is a small world.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Joe, small world indeed!

i hope to be able to make it to see y'all saturday in Wallace at the ENCSDC meeting!!! i had another health issue pop up again about 10 days ago, and waiting for the last of the test results to come in, hopefully tomorrow. feeling pretty good today - took the '51 out for a 10 mile test run. seemed ok, but may need to bring some extra oil with me.
                Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Cool story, but I pushed the Stude connection to the side as soon as I saw that IHC...never seen one of those before...how COOL...I want one now, and it would be slammed as far to the ground as I could get it, would even keep that tutone combo....just saying, and as for desert life, well I`m willing to give that a go too. Cheers, Junior
                  sigpic
                  1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Wow, that was a lot of fun to read! It brought back a lot of memories of going dirt bike riding through the `70's in Johnson Valley, Bell Mountain etc. We used to stop at the Summit Inn at the top of the Cajon Summit to meet up with other riders, have a slice of pie and a cup of coffee in the wee hours of the night. I can't really remember if it was any good...doesn't really matter as it was the only place out there then. Civilization (if that is what it is called) is slowly creeping up the hill on both sides.

Being a Pasadena resident brings to mind that this family also lived not far from me in Sierra Madre, in fact my 3 sons went to high school a few blocks from 666 Sierra Madre Bl. A small world indeed!

Cheers,

Ken

Comment

Working...
                    X