Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'57 President "low rider" now in my collection.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '57 President "low rider" now in my collection.

I just bought this yesterday, drove it home today, and posted photos. It is a very solid car, no cancer, only surface rust and chrome pitting. It needs about $10,000 of paint and upholstery, plus another $5,000 of chrome plating to make it look show-worthy. Needs new front springs, probably shocks and some work on the transmission. Seems pretty powerful, does not smoke and leaks very little oil. The previous owner took good care of it, got some new parts, and saved most of the exterior trim. He told me he thought it had a 2 speed automatic transmission but it might have a 3 speed. I have a nice Sky Hawk, which is also a President, with 3 speed auto. Lots of work ahead, as I have just finished my '64 and '65 Cruisers, and still have lots to do on my '64 Avanti R1.

What do you think? Click on the small thumbnail to see all the larger photos in my album.

Last edited by jnfweber; 11-23-2012, 06:36 PM.
    sigpic
    Jack, in Montana

That's likely got a Flightomatic (Borg Warner) transmission. They are actually 3 speed but later ones (not sure when change was made) have changes made in their valve bodies so that they start in 2nd and change to 3rd around 25MPH. Good luck with your car.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
      That's likely got a Flightomatic (Borg Warner) transmission. They are actually 3 speed but later ones (not sure when change was made) have changes made in their valve bodies so that they start in 2nd and change to 3rd around 25MPH. Good luck with your car.
      My Sky Hawk ('56 only) can be started in 1st by placing the shift indicator in "L", and can then shift to 2nd by moving quickly from "L" to "D" and quickly back to "L" to stay in 2nd gear (for "drag" racing), then to shift to 3rd, go back to "D", thus 3 speeds, sort of an early "Power Shift". I don't know about the '57 as the shift lever is a little "off" from the indicator on the steering column. It's probably a Flightomatic. The shift from 2nd to 3rd is a little rough if I let up on the gas, but is smooth if I keep throttle pressure constant. Possibly a problem.
      sigpic
      Jack, in Montana

Comment

Cool Ride,

You're lucky you made it home alive, though. That right-front brake cylinder is leaking.
        Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
        Kenmore, Washington
        hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
        '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
        '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
        '69 Pontiac Firebird
        (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Hi

You're making this easterner jealous, what a good, rust-free President Classic with decent potmetal! We don't find those back here anymore at all. It will be a fine candidate for restoration, handsome when you're finished. I had a '57 President Classic twenty years ago, enjoyed it, foolishly sold it back then.

The major thing to decide is how much under water financially you are willing to end up once its done. As much as I like those '56-'57 President Classics, we have to admit they aren't a collector car much in demand, consequently overall value of even nicely restored examples stays low and has been nearly flat for decades. If you do much of your own restoration work and make it reasonably nice looking without expensive work such as chrome plating, you'll have a fine daily driver you can enjoy without worrying about it. They ride and drive very nicely, have enough room to take all the kids and grandkids for ice cream or make adult guests going out for a tour or dinner feel like it's a special event!

Good luck with your restoration and keep us posted on the progress.

Steve

Comment

Seriously COOL! ...I like the heavy look.

Comment

What a score! Seriously, I'm jealous. Looks like a freshly redone brake booster too.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Looks good. I like the ride hight.
                Klif
                55 Speedster/Street Machine
                63 Avanti R2
                64 Convertible R1

Comment

Brake cylinder leaking?

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
                  Cool Ride,

You're lucky you made it home alive, though. That right-front brake cylinder is leaking.
                  Thanks, Mike. The previous owner told me to pump the brakes a little. I drove up Harbor Blvd with about 50 stop lights over 10 miles. I will not take it out on the freeway until both brakes, tires, and carburetion are perfect. Now I have to decide whether to restore it in the original light plum metallic paint, [YUK] or do a complete change of color. I would prefer bright red body and white top and side panel. This old boat looks a lot like a 57 Pontiac, which sold a lot more cars . Interior would be top quality red naugahyde seats and loop carpet, white headliner. This would require painting all interior door and door jambs. Engine compartment would require to pull engine to do it right. Or, I could just do original color and interior, which I could probably get from Rene Harger at SE Studebaker, leave the old chrome, and drive it. Problem is, it is again my 9th Studebaker, all licensed and driving. I need to sell 2 cars from my 8 car garage, since this means I again have 7 Studebakers. I am under water on most of my collectables, but I don't care anymore. Does anyone want a '40 Lincoln 4 dr or a '79 Lancia Beta Zagato Targa rust-free. and with 23,000 miles.

Jack in California
                  Last edited by jnfweber; 11-23-2012, 06:35 PM.
                  sigpic
                  Jack, in Montana

Comment

Nice car. I happen to think they look better in a 4 door. Great car for two tone. Get creative.
                    Jon Stalnaker
                    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

awesome ride
                      1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Very nice, I kinda like the original color. Trying to imagine it bright and shiny. Personally I think larger cars look best in a dark color, or white. Bright red is more suited to smaller cars. JMO though, do what you like.
                        Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA
                        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

2nd. Gear Starts and Flight-O-Matic issues

Originally posted by jnfweber View Post
                          My Sky Hawk ('56 only) can be started in 1st by placing the shift indicator in "L", and can then shift to 2nd by moving quickly from "L" to "D" and quickly back to "L" to stay in 2nd gear (for "drag" racing), then to shift to 3rd, go back to "D", thus 3 speeds, sort of an early "Power Shift". I don't know about the '57 as the shift lever is a little "off" from the indicator on the steering column. It's probably a Flightomatic. The shift from 2nd to 3rd is a little rough if I let up on the gas, but is smooth if I keep throttle pressure constant. Possibly a problem.

~ Jack, all Studebaker Automatics are 3 Speed, there are no 2 Speeds. As you know, some start in 2nd. and a few early '56 V-8 and many/most 6 Cyl. start in Low.
                          That includes:

Studebaker Automatic Drives (3 band Detroit Gear '50-'55 Cars)

Flight-O-Matics (Borg Warner Cast Iron Case and Aluminum Case) '56 to '66

Power Shift (Borg Warner) floor Shift '63-'64 all equipped V-8 models and '63-'83 Avanti.

~ Your hard 2-3 shift issue is too much throttle pressure. Follow the Shop Manual instructions for adjusting the Carb. to bellcrank linkage, then the Flight-O-Matic throttle pressure adjustment at the lower Trans. linkage.

~ Nice President Classic, if that were mine I would have to spend a whole lot of time and or money getting rid of that gangster BLACK glass.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Think I'd stick with the Low Rider look and have some fun!

Comment

Working...
                            X