65 Wagonaire Power Steering setup needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 Wagonaire Power Steering setup needed

Hello, I need to add power steering to my 1965 Studebaker Wagonaire with Chevybaker V8.

Car is manual steering now, would need everything to convert to power steering.

Pump, brackets, pulleys, hoses, ram, steering box and or Pitman arm.

Car is getting older and so am I
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Bill, I may be able to put a set up together for you if nobody else comes forward. I parted out several 65-66 Cruisers, but I need to make sure I have what I need for current projects first.
    Jim
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Actually, I have everything that you need. I was going to convert my '65 Wagonaire to power steering, collected all of the parts, but have since decided not to bother. Let me go find the parts, check their condition, and I'll give you a price in a PM. You'll want new hoses.
      Gary Ash
      Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
      ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
      '48 M5
      '65 Wagonaire Commander
      '63 Wagonaire Standard
      web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
        Actually, I have everything that you need. I was going to convert my '65 Wagonaire to power steering, collected all of the parts, but have since decided not to bother. Let me go find the parts, check their condition, and I'll give you a price in a PM. You'll want new hoses.
        There ya go! Ain't this forum a wonderful thing? :-)
        Jim
        I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Thanks Gary! Just let me know in P/M
          when you find everything.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Everyone that is considering this change; please keep in mind that the Gear Ratio of the steering gear is different between Manual steering Wagonaires and Convertibles and the Power steering equipped ones which are the same as all Lark type models.

So this means that if you install all of the Power Steering components and use the same Box, you will have a slower, easier turning unit WITH Power. I am not sure what the result of that would be other than slower, more steering wheel turns than a Factory equipped car.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, I've considered the things you point out, and I think the difference would be minimal at best. Hell, one just expects to have to spin the wheel a few times when driving a car of this era.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks Rich for your insight. The steering box on my 65 Wagonaire is very loose. I have to check and see if there is any adjustment left. If not, another box will be in order.
                Years ago I did this conversion on my 1963 Wagonaire and only noticed a bit more wheel turns when parallel parking. This car had a decent steering box, sadly my 65 doesn't.
                I have to say the 63 was a joy to drive with the power steering added, it was quite a bear before.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Working...
                X