Local Attractions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Attractions

Lancaster will be my first international meet for showing a car. Living in Baltimore County, MD I could sleep at HOME and attend the meet! More prep work on Bluebird that way, don't want to spend the whole time detailing the hill holder!
    As far as local attractions, no one mentioned Strasburg? The railroad there offers a 9 mile ride (4.5 each way) in restored 100 year old coaches behind real steam locomotives! Add the fact that the right of way is lined with Amish farms and you have a time machine!
    There is a rail museum accross the road, lots of restaurants, toy train museum over the hill. Check it out if you have any interest in trains at all.

www.strasburgrailroad.com for the railroad.

www.nttmuseum.org for toy trains.

www.rrmuseumpa.org for the rail museum.

As far as the school schedule conflict, I will try to talk to my girl friend about home schooling her daughter! (Wish me luck!)

Charles Eck
    Essex, MD

'57 Commander 4 door sedan, 'Bluebird'
    '66 Ford F-250
    '53 John Deere 50

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

All listed in the Meet Planning Guide, accessible in PDF at this link

Strasburg RR is on page 15.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

All listed in the Meet Planning Guide, accessible in PDF at this link

Strasburg RR is on page 15.

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      Brad Johnson,
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks for the links! I definitely want to see the RR Museum & ride the Strasburg train, and plan on visiting Steamtown Nat. Hist. Park in Scranton while I am in the area also. It is going to be a fun trip!

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Thanks for the links! I definitely want to see the RR Museum & ride the Strasburg train, and plan on visiting Steamtown Nat. Hist. Park in Scranton while I am in the area also. It is going to be a fun trip!

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

The Keystone Region Chapter did a visit to Steamtown in Scranton a half dozen years ago. THE PLACE IS AWESOME!!! Don't plan on a quick visit.

Brad Johnson
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            Brad Johnson,
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The Keystone Region Chapter did a visit to Steamtown in Scranton a half dozen years ago. THE PLACE IS AWESOME!!! Don't plan on a quick visit.

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              Brad Johnson,
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Regarding the Strasburg Railroad, word is Thomas the Tank Engine will be making his visit that week. You will either want to avoid it due to the crowds or make it a must see for the kids.

Brad Johnson
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                Brad Johnson,
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Regarding the Strasburg Railroad, word is Thomas the Tank Engine will be making his visit that week. You will either want to avoid it due to the crowds or make it a must see for the kids.

Brad Johnson
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Another Lancaster local attraction is the Rough & Tumble Engineers Historical Association museum about 15 miles east of Lancaster on Route 30. They have a great collection of steam-powered everything - locomotives, threshing engines, stationary engines, etc., as well as gas-engine farm tractors, hit-and-miss engines, and some old cars. During the summer, many of the engines and tractors are in operation. It's a small, friendly place, good for a picnic stop.

See http://www.roughandtumble.org/

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                    Dartmouth, Mass.
                    '48 M5
                    '65 Wagonaire Commander
                    '63 Wagonaire Standard
                    web site at http://www.studegarage.com
                    Gary Ash
                    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                    '48 M5
                    '65 Wagonaire Commander
                    '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

Another Lancaster local attraction is the Rough & Tumble Engineers Historical Association museum about 15 miles east of Lancaster on Route 30. They have a great collection of steam-powered everything - locomotives, threshing engines, stationary engines, etc., as well as gas-engine farm tractors, hit-and-miss engines, and some old cars. During the summer, many of the engines and tractors are in operation. It's a small, friendly place, good for a picnic stop.

See http://www.roughandtumble.org/

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                      Dartmouth, Mass.
                      '48 M5
                      '65 Wagonaire Commander
                      '63 Wagonaire Standard
                      Gary Ash
                      Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                      ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                      '48 M5
                      '65 Wagonaire Commander
                      '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

If there is enough interest from forum members and others, i will attempt to set up a night time visit to the Strasburg RR. I have been in contact with them and have taken some PR shots for the International Meet with 4 decades of Studebakers in front of the engine. I have also discussed the possibility of a Studebaker visit but it will DEFINITELY BE AFTER THOMAS THE TANK FANS GO TO SLEEP. I just need to know the interest level to proceed. Ask you local newsletter editors to check out the article "Memories of the Past - A Parallel History o Two Transportation Companies" posted to their site in this newsgroup and ready for their use.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

If there is enough interest from forum members and others, i will attempt to set up a night time visit to the Strasburg RR. I have been in contact with them and have taken some PR shots for the International Meet with 4 decades of Studebakers in front of the engine. I have also discussed the possibility of a Studebaker visit but it will DEFINITELY BE AFTER THOMAS THE TANK FANS GO TO SLEEP. I just need to know the interest level to proceed. Ask you local newsletter editors to check out the article "Memories of the Past - A Parallel History o Two Transportation Companies" posted to their site in this newsgroup and ready for their use.

See you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Thanks, Gary & Don. I will definitely be making a trip to R&T!

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Was in Lancaster over the weekend at KRC's Spring Banquest. (See the other thread on this). There are many places to see and things to do. In fact go to h[u]ttp://www.padutchcountry.com/</u> for many details and activities.

Here a picture of just one.

[img][/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X