Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaking of young people and Studebakers.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of young people and Studebakers.....

This was on the H.A.M.B. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...964+studebaker
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

'Lookin' good, Joe. Are you "on" HAMB and could contact her about SDC membership? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

There's a comment a bit down on the site from a guy who has a late 30's-or--46 Studebaker doing a wheelie as trademark on the left side of the column... seems to be a Studebaker-guy...

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        'Lookin' good, Joe. Are you "on" HAMB and could contact her about SDC membership? BP
        I have sent an email to the dad and encouraged him to join the SDC with his daughter. I sent him links to the Forum, the SDC Homepage, and to the list of chapters in California. I am not sure which one is nearest to their location in Hesperia, California. Maybe some of you California folks can also contact them and invite them to one of your events.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser

Comment

I just put those kinda wheels as you all used - on my Studebaker . . . Nice car , keep on rodding !
          Last edited by aarrggh; 11-15-2012, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Welcome, and sorry to see that one really bad comment ruined your first impression.. If I were in your shoes I can't say I'd feel any different than you do. But we aren't all bad; most of the bunch here on this site are friendly and helpful.

As a 22 year old, it's great to see another young person driving a Stude. I had a blast driving my '59 pickup when I was in high school, I hope your daughter has fun driving hers!
            Last edited by showbizkid; 11-16-2012, 08:25 AM. Reason: Quote removed

Comment

what "mbstude" (Matthew) said. i have a daughter a little older than yours and would be p!ssed if i read something like that.

this is (usually) the most "family friendly" auto forum site i've ever been on!!!

btw: i lived in Hesperia 1980-1986 on Riverside St, before i moved to NC. i'm sure i wouldn't recognize the town now...

some of the southern and central-cal people should be along soon with more info on nearby Stude folks.

welcome!!! i hope you stick around!
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Jason, please don't let that inappropriate comment or its author stop you from stopping by this Forum. I am embarrassed by what you saw on your first visit. I can say for sure that most folks here are better than that. I am the guy who sent you the email asking you to check in on SDC and this forum and I certainly hope you will stick around.
                Last edited by showbizkid; 11-16-2012, 08:26 AM. Reason: Quote removed
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser

Comment

Now, if we could just get Jason's daughter to teach my 17 year old how to paint!!!! Actually the painting is the easy part, sanding is the real pain.
                  Jamie McLeod
                  Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                  1958 Commander "Christine"
                  1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                  1955 Commander Sedan
                  1964 Champ
                  1960 Lark

Comment

I have been informed by the SDC that a post I recently made was considered offensive and was deleted. Because the post is deleted I have no reference to go back and see specifically what I said.

My recollection is that I stated "There is something about a woman and a spray gun." I hope that wasn't what was deemed offensive as I truly meant it as a compliment. I know of few if any woman who are skilled to paint a car - yet here was one that was capable. I then reflected upon the many spray products I recall my own mother, wife and daughter use and mused that woman in general might be more capable car painters because of that experience. Lastly I recall implying that men (being less incline to use spray products - on a daily basis) might actually be less capable at car painting.

I sincerely apologize if what I said (or said that I can't recollect) was offensive. It was not my intention to offend anyone, - much less a young woman. Nor was it my intention to paint the SDC in a bad light. I am known for having an "isn't that ironic" and a "could you imaging if..." sense of humor. And, at times, I have been misunderstood without hearing the intonation of my voice or seeing the expression on my face.

If one were to look back at the 150 or so posts I have made I don't feel you would find me to be an obnoxious or callous person. As a college instructor for the past 22 years I am student evaluated (by both young woman and men) and consistently receive a 5.8 rating on a scale of 0-6. It is not my desire to offend individuals or misrepresent an organization. Regardless, I will work to be more cautious in the future.

Sincerely, Tom
                    Last edited by wittsend; 11-16-2012, 11:54 AM. Reason: Add the word "to"
                    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

After that clarification, I believe you Tom. Having read your original post, I can see how a person may have misunderstood, especially a protective father. I have a 14 year old daughter who has literally grown up riding in a Studebaker. I hope she too, will someday be driving a Studebaker to school. I am probably even an overly protective father, and may have responded the same way that girl's dad did. But, given your clarification, I'd sure give you a second chance. I hope the other dad does too.

Comment

Getting back to this very nicely updated '64 Daytona, I have to wonder if the owners realize how neat and simply amazing these White Cars look with the wide center portion of the body side mouldings painted Satin Black.

Click image for larger version

Name:	White Convert_W_Blue.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1676052

Last edited by StudeRich; 11-16-2012, 01:23 PM.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          Getting back to this very nicely updated '64 Daytona, I have to wonder if the owners realize how neat and simply amazing these White Cars look with the wide center portion of the body side mouldings painted Satin Black.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18861[/ATTACH]

Rich,
                          I dunno if that black is "correct" or not, but it sure spruces it up.
                          Joe

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                            Rich,
                            I dunno if that black is "correct" or not, but it sure spruces it up.
                            Joe
                            All '64 Daytonas had low gloss Black paint in the center of the wider Aluminum body side mouldings that were also used on '64 Cruisers and '65 Daytonas and Cruisers, but they had the poorer looking two fine recessed areas at the top and bottom painted low gloss Black, none ever were originally totally bare.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

'Waiting for Photobucket to get back "up" so I could post this from the current AACA Antique Automobile.

Well-stated, eh? BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X