X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Your Studebaker Won't Rust

...like other cars.(Hey, it says so right here!):

Just thought you'd like to know.... BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

They missed a spot on the front fenders.
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Actually, they missed a few spots. Here's a diagram showing the rust areas in Studebakers, even in California:

I kid, I kid! But dagnabit, those roof rust areas are the worst.
      Attached Files
      Scott Rodgers
      Los Angeles
      SDC Member since 1989
      \'60 Lark HT
      \'63 Wagonaire
      \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

My dad's Hawk had the 5 year rustproof deal.
        5 years and 5 minutes later it rusted through.....
        Jeff
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Now remember, folks, the ad copy only says that your Studebaker won't rust like other cars.

It doesn't say it won't rust more than or less than other cars, it just says it won't rust like other cars. You can take it from there. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

In Minneapolis, the capital/epicenter of the rust belt, the Larks and the early Valiants raced each other to see which one would rust out the fastest.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
              In Minneapolis, the capital/epicenter of the rust belt, the Larks and the early Valiants raced each other to see which one would rust out the fastest.
              I'm afraid to ask who won, Roy.... BP

Comment

I thought this rust treatment was only applied to 64 & later cars. If so, then why were 63's shown here?
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I took a needle scaler to the undercoating on my GH. It didn't even dent the stuff. I still have to patch the front fender corners and replace the right rocker, tho.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
                  58H-K7 660

Comment

I'd really like to know the truth about this whole thing. Here are the questions I have:
                    1. Was Studebaker really unique in doing this (aluminizing)?
                    2. Are the results of their tests truthful and unbiased? Were they done by a third party?
                    3. Was this really Studebaker's process or someone else's?
                    4. If the test results were lies, then what was the actual effect of the aluminizing treatment?
                    5. If customers were seeing rust out as much as on other cars, why wasn't there a lawsuit or some other action against the company? It either was mostly effective or there were thousands willing to give Studebaker a pass. Even in the 1960s I don't think the corporation could have gotten away with such fraud if it occurred.
                    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I think Clem missed that memo
                      Dean

CLEM

Comment

Your IH Scouts and Ford Broncos also did not rust like others.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

'57 MoPars were supposedly rusting before they reached the dealerships...

Willys/Jeep products were also terribly rust-prone, which is ironic for a vehicle intended to go through the worst conditions and in the worst weather... how many of you remember the '46-'63 Utility trucks where the frame rusted in half right behind the cab ?

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                            I thought this rust treatment was only applied to 64 & later cars. If so, then why were 63's shown here?
                            No, Warren; this was very much in place for the 1963 model year, as shown. BP

Comment

I reckon we were lucky in Sweden to get the cars seriously antirust-treated & even done in a warm place so the moist first went out of the steel.
                              & likewise with the early Valiants but later on enough clay ofcourse had been collected over the headlights anyway & then... but that went for any car in those days.
                              & as I've been told the -57 Chrysler line was so stressed because of the demand (quite a bit more good-looking cars than Fords & most GMs "want one of these Cheryslers!!!") so the over all quality wasn't what it ought to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X