Dealer Added Overdrive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealer Added Overdrive?

I was wondering if anyone ever heard of Overdrive being added to a regular three speed at the Dealership? I know it probably had to officially be ordered from the Factory but I was wondering if it was ever done to close a deal or... . Thanks for any input! Quentin

I was wondering if anyone ever heard of Overdrive being added to a regular three speed at the Dealership?
    Yes. Never added to a regular 3-speed, because that is too labor intensive but an overdrive transmission swapped for a regular 3-speed has been known to happen.

Over the years literally everything possible has been changed at/by the dealer. Studebaker legends I've heard from reliable sources:

1. Supercharger removed from '57 GH

2. 4-speed changed to automatic on a GT

3. 3-speed changed to a 4-speed on an Avanti

4. '56 Packard Caribbean TwinUltramatic changed to a T85 3-speed overdrive

5. R1 and Powershift from a wrecked GT installed in a '62 Lark

6. At least a dozen '56 Golden Hawks had the 2x4 intake ordered from the dealer's Parts Department and some actually installed by the dealership. However never, ever on paperwork from S-P. Didn't happen on the assembly line, no matter what you hear at a show.

7.And yes, a few cars and pickups having overdrive swapped in at the dealership after the CASO who wouldn't pay the very few dollars extra at time of purchase then couldn't stand the high-RPM cruise and/or wanted better highway fuel economy. Easy swap, especially in the midwest where the wrecking yards were full of young rusted out Studes. Swapping in an overdrive always cost more than ordering it with the car, but less than the loss from selling an almost new but severely depreciated Stude.

I know it probably had to officially be ordered from the Factory but I was wondering if it was ever done to close a deal
    And let's be clear. All the above were done AFTER the sale when the owner wanted something different. I don't know of a single instance where S-P authorized a dealer to change a major drivetrain component before the sale and agreed to warranty same. Might have happened, just never seen it documented.

jack vines
    Last edited by PackardV8; 11-13-2012, 09:54 AM.
    PackardV8

Comment

Jack,
      Great answer, I love that kind of history.
      Hope you come to a chapter event soon, I'd like like to finally meet you.
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Thank you! Great info.

Comment

Working...
        X