51 2R5 rear leaf spring problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 2R5 rear leaf spring problems

1951 2R5 rear leaf spring hangers (units at back of spring - riveted to frame) have the bushing bolts cutting through the bushing housing (the steel part). The bushings are long gone. I have drilled the rivets out and have the hangers off. One of the top leaf's rear eyelets is also cut by the bolt: only 1/16" thick spring where the bolt has cut. I need replacement rear spring hangers, the shackle assemblies, bushings & bolts, and 1 leaf spring. Do I need to change both leaf springs? Is there an alternative spring (Ford, Chev...etc). Anyone with a parts truck...I could email you a list of all items I am looking for. I checked SI...can't put that kind of money in this truck.

Thanks, Ray
    Ray Stewart SDC
    51 pick-up
    57 silver hawk
    62 lark

I rebuilt my shackles by cutting off the "bolt" part, drilling the centers and just replacing the stuff with bolts...
    Then welded the bolt heads to the side of the shackle and viola... rebuilt...

The bushings can be fabricated, or get some from a jeep ( don't remember what year)....
    Junkyard parts for the rest....

What I did.....

Comment

Would like to have pics. Those parts can be repaired, just would like to see the damage and make sure that it is repairable.

Comment

Ray, I sent you a pm.
        Originally posted by Ray Stewart View Post
        1951 2R5 rear leaf spring hangers (units at back of spring - riveted to frame) have the bushing bolts cutting through the bushing housing (the steel part). The bushings are long gone. I have drilled the rivets out and have the hangers off. One of the top leaf's rear eyelets is also cut by the bolt: only 1/16" thick spring where the bolt has cut. I need replacement rear spring hangers, the shackle assemblies, bushings & bolts, and 1 leaf spring. Do I need to change both leaf springs? Is there an alternative spring (Ford, Chev...etc). Anyone with a parts truck...I could email you a list of all items I am looking for. I checked SI...can't put that kind of money in this truck.

Thanks, Ray
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Good Morning! Took pictures of the "hanger & tube" units part # 677740 right & #677741 left. The springs are just like top drawing page 445 in parts book. Note that the tubes are different sizes: one is about 1" ID and the other 7/8" ID. Both tubes may have been replaced prior as the mounts show the bolt cutting into it. So I am not sure what size is correct. I can get some tube and weld new tubes on the mounts...anyone know what size is correct? The one side had pieces of red rubber that looked more like hose than bushing. Both shackle & stud assemblies (part # 523695) are damaged: threaded portion twisted off and studs are not smooth & round any more. Weld on new tubes and get shackle kits with bushings from a local parts place? The left top leaf eyelet is still nearly cut in two by the bolt. These leaf springs have 5 arced springs and 4 straight springs low...perhaps I do not need such stiff springs...will only be hauling folding chairs to car shows.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1676006
          Ray Stewart SDC
          51 pick-up
          57 silver hawk
          62 lark

Comment

I suggest you post your problem on Stude Truck Talk, as several of the folks who post there regularly are parting out trucks. That might be the best place to get replacement hangers.

Tapatalk the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online

I have a spare good used set of two-stage rear springs from a 3R5, but I know the design of the hangers and springs changed between the 2R and 3R series, so I don't know if they would fit your truck. For example, the 3R bushings are plain rubber with no metal insert, and for some reason last forever. I have some spare bushings, but don't think they would fit your truck. I would suggest you replace both rear springs with identical units, or at least get the worn leaf (and the comparable one on the other side) replaced by a local spring shop. They could also remove a leaf or two to soften the ride a bit (though it'll never be very good . . . . . ) That would be a lot cheaper than having a complete set of new springs made.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

These leaf springs have 5 arced springs and 4 straight springs low...perhaps I do not need such stiff springs...will only be hauling folding chairs to car shows.
              By removing those four straight springs on the bottom you'll lessen unsprung weight and slightly improve the ride. However, that's not really the answer.

One way to do it is try to put essentially a new rear suspension under it. Newer trucks often have three wide, thick spring leaves instead of the tall stack of narrow springs Studes used. They also have large diameter rubber bushings with steel sleeves. I wander through the U-Pick yard with a tape measure until I find a 1/2t truck with the same front half spring leaf length as the Stude. Get the whole package - springs, hangers, U-bolts, shock mounts, rear sway bar.

Modern springs always have a longer rear section than the Studes. This requires relocating the rear spring mount, but as yours are already off and require major rebuilding, that shouldn't be an issue if you've already measured how much rearward room you've got on the frame.

Also, some modern trucks mount the spring leaf on top of the axle. This is extra work, but it can be done. You know your capabilities. If you want it easy, get everything off a truck with the springs under the axle.

Alternately, you can take your trashed spring hangers and main leaves to a truck spring shop. They can repair the hangers with larger eyes to take bushings with a steel sleeve and make new main leaves with the same larger diameter eyes and provide you with new shackles.

jack vines
              Last edited by PackardV8; 11-13-2012, 10:26 AM.
              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
              X