• Show
Clear All

• Getting at the really hard to reach places to clean

Click image for larger version

Name:	woman on hood.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1736746
    You can't fault her diligence! Never mind the foot prints on your hood!
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

From the Quinn family photo album, Dick? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Lucky it wasn't saturday night when she was wearing stilettos...

Comment

I have often been surprised and amazed at how shortsighted, ignorant, and clueless some folks can be regarding the value of "property." I don't know the "back story" of this particular photo, but it reminds me of a few encounters I have had that resulted in confrontations and strained relationships. Several times, in the past, I have had to remind some folks, that the bumper they were attempting to rest their foot on, was painted with the same paint that was on the hood...and if they would resist stepping on my bumper, I would resist walking on their hood.

Once, I was visiting my Mom and found my brother's kids playing on the hood and roof of my mother's car. Without hesitation, I promptly chased the kids off the car and included an unapologetic lecture regarding the expense of paint and body work. My sister-in-law made some snarky remark about the car being old. My reply to her was that the car might be old, but that it was the "newest" car my mom had and should be respected. I added that she (my sister-in-law) was getting older, and asked if she should be treated with less respect because of that. She gathered the kids and left. I never saw the kids playing on a car after that.

What's amazing to me, is that people don't just do this sort of thing to old cars...but to new cars and probably to their own more than the property of others.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

And then there's the people that think your car makes a great door stop when they pull in next to it......

Comment

This reminds me of a Studebaker meet at the Unisphere in NYC in the early 1970s. I was there with my 1953 Commander Starliner. Large groups of teens-20 somethings came up on foot and on bicycles. They were climbing over and in the cars. One group of four or five climbed onto the hood of one car to get their picture taken. They set their bicycles against the cars. This all happened very quickly. When we stopped them, the response was; "Aren't these cars here for show/sales? Even if they were, does that make it okay to climb on them? Of course in NYC, at that time, most families did not own a car.

I called Cathy to look at the picture. At about the time of the picture, she was living with her parents and had a 1953 Champion sedan. The picture looks like something that her mother might have done.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I bet the woman in question never thought that picture would be seen all over the world!
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
              X