1965 Daytona transmission question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 Daytona transmission question

Hello, Question for the late model Studebaker gurus out there...
    I need to replace the the transmission in a 1965 Daytona with the Chevy 283.
    I have a 1962 Studebaker Hawk automatic on the shelf, will this bolt up to the 65 Chevy V8?
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

It may well, but likely with modifications such as adaptor plates to connect to the Chevrolet Engine, and adjustments to transmission mounts - not to forget potential differences in transmission linkages etc.
    It would seem better to replace it with what was originally installed or else a transmission designed for use with Chevrolet Engines, and save any hassles.
    Don't forget that the column shift components between the 1962 and 1965 gearboxes will differ so it's not a direct swap.
    The Technical Gurus will be along presently to advise.
    All the best with the Car.
    Last edited by avantilover; 11-10-2012, 08:26 PM.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Are you replacing an automatic with an automatic? If so, just leave the torque converter and bellhousing in place, and separate the transmission from the bellhousing at the 4 large bolts. Pretty easy, in fact.

Two "gotchas", though. First, take note of how the tangs on the torque converter snout are oriented, and ensure the drive notches on the front pump of the new transmission are aligned to to let them slip in.

Second, the throttle valve linkage is way different. Your car uses a cable linkage, and the '62 transmission uses a linkage rod that runs to the bottom end of the throttle bellcrank. Unless you are willing to take the time and trouble to make a new TV linkage that works the way it should, this will be a deal-breaker. The car won't drive right without a properly-functioning TV linkage. It isn't just a kickdown; it also governs shift points at all speed ranges.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I have a good tranny out of a 65 Cruiser available.
        Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
        1958 Commander "Christine"
        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
        1955 Commander Sedan
        1964 Champ
        1960 Lark

Comment

If its a 283 why not put in a 200r4 and make life a whole lot easier and cheaper at the same time?

Comment

Thanks Jamie! Check your PM
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Working...
            X