Does this part even exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this part even exist?

I am looking for some help in finding a steering wheel adapter to use an aftermarket (Grant etc) steering wheel on a 56 Hawk colum. I've been told there was a change in 57 to a different Dia size and spline count. these are still being made but the earlier ones are not. I do not want to change the colum so If anyone can help me locate an adapter to fit my 56 or has other suggestions Id love to hear from you. I want to get this car back on the road.
    Last edited by showbizkid; 11-04-2012, 06:43 AM. Reason: formatting

Did you try Grant's website? They have an application guide to tell you what part number adapter kit fits. Once you find that you can check with Summit Racing and see if they stock it. If Grant doesn't list a kit, maybe they can tell you if they ever did and what the part number was so you have that number to search for from various old car parts sources.

The part number may well fit other cars from the era and still be current.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

To; shoafski,-----Good question!...I tried to install a custom (Grant) wheel in a 56J I owned years ago but was stymied by this same problem. Ended up reworking a '57-up adapter.

Comment

You will need 2, one for the early spline column that is common on some older cars and one with the proper finisher. The problem with the latest line of adapters is the finisher plate that cups down to the turn signal plate. If you can get Grant to sell you just one piece, the one that bolts to the column, you would be in like Flyn. If I remember it is 13/16" but forgot the spline number.

Comment

Dug around a little. The splined adapter or hub in Grants nomenclature is a 13/16" X 36. The later is 3/4" X 40. On the early adapter is a casting number of 10045. But it is the post cap that is the hard part to find.
          Last edited by Alan; 11-04-2012, 07:38 AM.

Comment

J.B. Weld.

Just kidding wish you luck, sounds like you need it.
            If you do find someone with one ask them if they also have the front corners of a 52 hard top belt line trim.

Dean.

Comment

Do you just need the adapter (the part that goes on the shaft), or the whole kit?

Comment

I have thought about the same issue but I have a 55 President coupe. I smaller diameter steering wheel would be great.
                Last edited by glassfrog; 11-04-2012, 02:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I have one question: with a Grant wheel, how do you get the turnn signals to cancel properly? I want to go back to an original wheel on Barney because there's no provision for the canceller - or a proper horn button, for that matter.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

To answer the initial question: Yes they exist. I know at least two do. I have one on my 53, and I have a spare hub adapter. To showbizkid: To get the turn signals to cancel, I used the cancel ring off an old steering wheel on the adapter. I don't know about "proper" on the horn button, but mine works. Here's a (not so good) picture of mine.

Comment

That is exactly what i'm trying to do with my Skyhawk You mention you have A spare hub adapter is it available? If not I'll check back with Grant the last time I called them they only told me they had the later3/4 adpt maybe now with the casting number it might jog there memory. I noticed the interior of your 53 is that a 3 or 4 speed shifter I see?

Comment

Still trying to figure out how to use this forum. I am trying to do the same look as your you say you have a spare hub adapter is it available ? also what do I see in your 53 is that a 3 or 4 speed shifter . I have a Hurst shifter on a spare 3sp od that I want to install in my skyhawk but not sure if it will work with the bench seat.

Comment

shoafski, There are bench seat Hurst sticks that one can use with most Hurst shifters. They retail for about $100. That would sole the bench seat problem.

If a steering wheel from a 59 Lark will fit your steering shaft I have a Grant kit in the box that I can give you the numbers for, or any part in the kit.

I used many different parts to make it all work well but now I swapped over to a Saginaw, from the Ross, and now have to use some later model internals for the indicator cancel and horn wire.

Len.

Comment

You can check and see if Grant still has a 4401 adapter kit, that should work.

Comment

To glassfrog (or anyone for that matter): if you can find a scrap original steeringwheel than you can do as I did once upon a time; cut down the spokes & weld on the original ring, made smaller & then use some plastic padding to build up the ring again, it loox mighty cool if the wheel is just slightly smaller, folx scratch their heads bloody & then go home thinking...
                              Or you can try cutting the spokes just the same but then bolt on a outer ring from a Superior or Grants wheel, loox cool with the wood-ring.
                              But whatever you do if you do it, do it seriously good!

Comment

Working...
                              X