R3 GT Hawk Info Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R3 GT Hawk Info Needed

A friend of mine is doing a ground up "restoration" of an R3 GT Hawk Clone. He is in the final stages of its completion but is looking for HEATER HOSE ROUTING SCHEMATIC. He wants it to be as authentic as is possible. He would prefer photos of actual cars, or factory line drawings. Thanks to all for your help.
    sals54

As you know, Sal; Studebaker did not assemble any R3 Hawks that we know of. Therefore, your buddy can route the heater hoses any way he wants!

Here's the R2 arrangement from a period factory photo for reference. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Remember, all R3 cars used the Avanti mount. A little money spent at the museum and copying expense Andy sent me the engineering drawings for air cleaner, supercharger mounts, etc. I don't recall if they included the heater hose routing.
      Jim
      Often in error, never in doubt
      http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Bob and Jim, Thanks so much for the info. The picture looks great. Does anyone have an R3 Avanti Image of the under hood arrangement??? Perhaps a combination of the two will give him options to work with. Again, thanks for the rapid responses.
        sals54

Comment

'Not much to see on an R3 in an Avanti engine bay, Sal.

The hoses pretty much just go straight back to the right of the carb enclosure because the heater arrangement itself is so different from a Hawk:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I noticed there's no fan shroud installed on the Avanti in the Granatelli / Bonneville photo.

Comment

Thanks again Bob, another great picture. I'm sure these will allow the hoses to be finished.
              sals54

Comment

Bob, thanks for that first picture

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                Thanks again Bob, another great picture. I'm sure these will allow the hoses to be finished.
                Bob, I spent part of the summer fitting A/C on a 63 R2 Lark. Now the last couple of weeks I have been working on replacing the brake booster and distributor on a a 64 R1 Hawk. I was studying the first picture you posted and had to think that adding the Supercharger on the R-2 Hawk had to be an engineering nightmare. Having recently worked on the R1 Hawk brakes I think engineering had their hands full. Seems perhaps the booster without a mechanical connection might go back to earlier Hawks. Then I guess they figured no one at that time wanted to fill the master cylinder from inside the car and added that reservoir on the passenger side of the firewall. Anyway I think that picture shows how tight everything was.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                X