• Show
Clear All

• Serial number plate. What used on??

Click image for larger version

Name:	plate w serial no.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1736719
    I have just recently received an inquiry re a Studebaker serial number plate. I have original car and truck serial plates going as far back as the Garford and none bear any resemblance to this. I might add that I have had (and still have) a number of these in my personal collection but was never sure what they were used on. Has anyone ever seen one actually attached to something? My thoughts are that they were not used on cars or trucks but would like to be wrong.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

The "EqNo." means Equipment Number. These were inventory tags for machines, furniture, fixtures - not vehicles. I've got several such tags from Douglas Aircraft that I removed from surplused production machines.

Here's a 2LMS drilling machine from 1962 - http://www.adamsmachinery.com/drill/hsdlelx.htm
    Last edited by Roscomacaw; 11-02-2012, 12:52 PM.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks Bob. Makes sense to me!
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I believe that Bob K. nailed it. At IBM they were referred to as "brass tag numbers" and were used to keep track of capital equipment.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bob is right on with that. We have several pallet racks at SI that still have those tags on them but I think they are later because they Say Studebaker-Packard.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
          X