Salesmanship...Really now...55?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salesmanship...Really now...55?

I know that sometimes we are like kids on a playground. We can be inartfully critical and insensitive. But...this one got to me. I don't think this guy is a true Studebaker person. One of my late brothers had a problem dealing with reality. It would have been entertaining to put him and the seller of this truck in the same room and just sit back and listen to the conversation.

There are some very interesting listings for Studebakers currently offered on Ebay. Some with a better grasp of reality than others. As always...some are presented in a manner that ignites interest...others...not so much.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

402 V6??? Maybe he means 4.0, nice truck though.
    Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
    Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
    Lizella, GA

Comment

Take a closer look at that truck. Just because you slap an ornament and a grille on one don't mean it is the year of the ornament or the grille. Anybody else have suspicions about this offering?
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
        I know that sometimes we are like kids on a playground. We can be inartfully critical and insensitive. But...this one got to me. I don't think this guy is a true Studebaker person. One of my late brothers had a problem dealing with reality. It would have been entertaining to put him and the seller of this truck in the same room and just sit back and listen to the conversation.

There are some very interesting listings for Studebakers currently offered on Ebay. Some with a better grasp of reality than others. As always...some are presented in a manner that ignites interest...others...not so much.
        The engine is a 4.3L Chevy V6: with I believe a 402 GM marine engine. Direct quote from the eBay ad. And GM did offer 4.3L V6 marine versions so I'm giving the seller a bye.
        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I don't think many will even notice the rest of the ad, once they see the starting price.

Comment

So, what are the seats from a one-holer outhouse doing over the rear wheels? Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
              I don't think many will even notice the rest of the ad, once they see the starting price.
              Apparently...I was expecting more comments about the fact that there is no way this is a '55. I thought it could possibly be a '54, but the two piece windshield makes that less likely. I have never tried to put flat glass in a '54 and up C-cab, but have been told it can't be done, that the opening is different and can't (easily) be retrofitted.

The rather unrealistic starting bid, poor pictures, staging the truck in a plowed field, and incorrect year of manufacture...shout "stay away" rather than "buy me."

There are other listings with similar inconsistencies at this time. Some are under sold and others have hype that is betrayed by the pictures. I wonder how many are SDC members.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

IIRC the 402 GM engine was initially the 396 and is a BBC. Noted as 396 to stay under the 400 cu.in. limit.

I owned a 22 Ft Starcraft Islander with the GM 4.3 marine engine and it was a great smooth motor that would pull two skiers and do 49 mph on full plane w/o the skiers.

A quick OT. I let my son drive the boat on occasion but neglected to tell him to keep it under 26 mph with skiers on the back. You can probably guess what happened as I was the first skier he pulled out of the water when piloting the boat. Well! Let's just say he passed 26 mph pretty quickly and Dang that water's hard when you let go the tow rope.

It was assembled by Mercury Marine, had a counter shaft to reduce vibration and was rated at 200 HP. FYI

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
                  The engine is a 4.3L Chevy V6: with I believe a 402 GM marine engine. Direct quote from the eBay ad. And GM did offer 4.3L V6 marine versions so I'm giving the seller a bye.
                  A 4.3 litre would be 262 ci, not 402.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                    Take a closer look at that truck. Just because you slap an ornament and a grille on one don't mean it is the year of the ornament or the grille. Anybody else have suspicions about this offering?
                    It probably also has a transplanted Serial Number plate because an E12 (as stated in the listing) would be a 3/4 ton V8 starting in 1955.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                    X