• Show
Clear All

• Rear Engine Lark

Click image for larger version

Name:	rear engined lark.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1736708

Interesting place for a "spare" engine...from Craigslist.
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

...link...?
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yeah, what he said...............

Comment

That makes at least two. The engineers at the factory put a Porsche engine in the rear of a 59-60 sedan one time.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

If they'da stuck with the flathead, it woulda fit!
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Big deal I once send a 52 Starlite to Australia with a BBC 454 in the trunk, fit like glove but on it's side.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

That 1963 Lark must have a good trunk floor for it to withstand the weight of that engine.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Well, that's nuthin'! I once had a Stude truck that had FOUR Stude engines in it! Five, if you count the one under the hood.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The Porsche 1300 cc engine was much smaller. It was mated to a VW Transporter transmission with swing axles. Spare tire and gas tank went in front under the hood. I actually drove this car around the circle in my driveway - without working brakes except the handbrake - but it wasn't registered to go on the road. I doubt that the Studebaker Museum will ever get it running again unless someone volunteers to rebuild the wheel cylinders (Lark 6 fronts, VW bus rears) and master cylinder. The two Solex carbs need to be rebuilt, too, as they leaked gas pretty badly.

Gary Ash
                  Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                  ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                  '48 M5
                  '65 Wagonaire Commander
                  '63 Wagonaire Standard
                  web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

I enjoyed seeing the Porsche-engined Lark at the SDC International in Marlborough MA in 1990. It would be nice to have a unique car roadworthy once again.
                    Bill Jarvis

Comment

I'd enjoy hearing more details (and results) about the Porsche powered Lark. Is there an article somewhere, or additional pictures?

Tom
                      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                        I'd enjoy hearing more details (and results) about the Porsche powered Lark. Is there an article somewhere, or additional pictures?

Tom
                        It was a prototype. I believe the car is a '59. I want to say there was an article on it a while back, I'll try to find the issue.
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                        X