Wish we could get new steel Studebaker bodies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish we could get new steel Studebaker bodies

If only we could get new bodies and panels for our Studebakers!!

1940 Ford Coupe re-created for SEMA

Reproduction shell aimed at hot rodders

The 1940 Ford Coupe will join Ford's group of officially licensed steel-reproduction car bodies. It's available for ordering now, along with the 1965-1970 Mustang.
    ....Read the rest from AutoWeek Magazine here: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121026/SEMA/121029893
    Last edited by lschuc; 10-26-2012, 09:37 PM.
    Lew Schucart
    Editor, Avanti Magazine

Did you see the price. How would you like to pay $14,000 for a stude body shell.

Comment

Almost a shame to put paint on it.
      Klif
      55 Speedster/Street Machine
      63 Avanti R2
      64 Convertible R1

Comment

That is pretty cool, but like the Mustang and Camaro bodies, you better have a donor car for parts you need or it will be really expensive!!!

A new Stude body shell would be great, even at that price.
        Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
        1958 Commander "Christine"
        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
        1955 Commander Sedan
        1964 Champ
        1960 Lark

Comment

Lew, are you going to put in an order for a 63 Lark convertible??
          sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

I could see repop 1950's Starlite coupes and maybe other C/K bodies...............
            --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

A couple years ago, I parked in the manufacturers midway right next to the Year One booth display.
              They had their 'brand new' Camaro on display.
              It was completely new.
              Only a quarter million plus.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Year One NEW Camaro Parked Next To Yellow POS.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1675889
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
                I could see repop 1950's Starlite coupes and maybe other C/K bodies...............
                Here is why we (speaking for SI) have not reproduced just the fenders for C/K bodies.... A front fender for a C/K (either L or R) requires three different stamping dies to make. ONE of those dies costs roughly $10,000; and I'm sure prices have gone up since the last time I looked at dies. To produce both the left and right front fenders, that would be $60,000 plus the cost of using a stamping press and the cost of raw sheet metal plus the bonderite and primer process. I would love to see that body style reproduced, but unfortunately it would just be expensive; and equally sad to say there just is not a call for it like there is for a model A or T-bucket. I'll stay posative though, NEVER SAY NEVER!! Those parts could be made someday...
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                  Here is why we (speaking for SI) have not reproduced just the fenders for C/K bodies.... A front fender for a C/K (either L or R) requires three different stamping dies to make. ONE of those dies costs roughly $10,000; and I'm sure prices have gone up since the last time I looked at dies. To produce both the left and right front fenders, that would be $60,000 plus the cost of using a stamping press and the cost of raw sheet metal plus the bonderite and primer process. I would love to see that body style reproduced, but unfortunately it would just be expensive; and equally sad to say there just is not a call for it like there is for a model A or T-bucket. I'll stay posative though, NEVER SAY NEVER!! Those parts could be made someday...
                  With some of the 3-D stuff done via computer: I have a strong premonition that we'll see very soon repop parts done by simply scanning in an existing fender, etc. and a replica pressed with some sort of 'plasma' force.............
                  --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

If I ever make millions it'll be my contribution to Studedom.
                    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

I'm waiting for a Star Trek style replicator. Just punch the button and the atoms form into what you need. New 52 upper grille bar? No Problem!
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

What did happen to the Studebaker Corporation's original factory dies?.

Comment

(IIRC) The stamping machines were sold, the dies were scrapped.

What did happen to the Studebaker Corporation's original factory dies?.
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Huh,

I hadn't realized this thread was here when I asked on the Ford Coupe thread whether anyone has any idea what it costs these days, here in the USA, to have a fender laser scanned and then a set of stamping dies made by CNC equipment?

Obviously, if you are a stamper you are only interested in having dies made for stuff that's popular because you have to shoulder the up-front cost of the dies and it takes a while to get that investment back. Once the dies are made and paid for they are just a tool sitting on the shelf until it's needed. No?

What if the SDC were to ask for donations to get dies made? Talk to stampers and see what kind of deal can be had and then do a survey of members to find out what the most-desired and hardest to obtain sheetmetal is. Then solicite donations from membership. Set up a permanent donation fund, like the one for the museum.

When local chapters do meets they can set up a donations box to collect more funds exclusively toward the die project and then can send the collected donations into SDC.

You never know, SDC might collect enough in no time to get first one, and then another, fender or quarter panel done; and, if the donation process stays in place, eventually have dies made for all of the most wanted stuff.

Just an idea.
                            Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                            Kenmore, Washington
                            hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                            '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                            '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                            '69 Pontiac Firebird
                            (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

You know, I hate to even think of doing it to our wonderful American cars, but I'd bet you could probably find a factory someplace in Asia who could reproduce a whole freight container full of fenders, doors, and other parts for less than the cost of buying just the dies here.
                              '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Working...
                              X