Lark spotted on the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark spotted on the road

Saw this '61 cruising at about 70 mph today, just outside of Chattanooga, Tenn. Honestly, the first time I've ever seen a Stude on the road that wasn't near an SDC meet. Was pretty cool to see one in action!

Wow, that is a GORGEOUS '61!
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Clean. 6 or 8?
      Klif
      55 Speedster/Street Machine
      63 Avanti R2
      64 Convertible R1

Comment

It's good to see a '61 on the road!

Comment

Maybe he was headed to Nashville and then to West Tennessee looking for a meet, Matt.
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
            Clean. 6 or 8?
            Klif
            My guess would be a 6. I see only 1 tailpipe. Most 8s are running duals nowadays.
            Neil Thornton

Comment

Is that a Tennessee historic vehicle plate Matt? Anyone?
              61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

It was a Tennessee plate. No idea what was under the hood, but he was cruising at 70 when I took the picture. I'd think a stock six would have a tough time maintaining that.

I've never really paid much attention to early Larks, but that little two door looked great going down the highway. I love the roofline. It's a total oddball even amongst Studes.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                  It was a Tennessee plate. No idea what was under the hood, but he was cruising at 70 when I took the picture. I'd think a stock six would have a tough time maintaining that.

Matt,
                  My 61 Lark is a six standard with OD, has absolutely no problem cruising at 70-75mph- don't sell those six cyls short!! Evan
                  Evan Davis
                  Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

By the looks of the arm on the door - driver is enjoying the ride...

Comment

It's a treat to see a Stude on the road when you aren't expecting such. There's a red 60 4-dr that I get to see around here from time to time. I've never met the owner but I love seeing that LArk on the road.
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Don't forget Matthew, the 61' was the first year for the OHV 6. One would think it would cruise better especially if it had OD.

Dan Miller
                        Auburn, GA

Comment

I've never really paid much attention to early Larks, but that little two door looked great going down the highway. I love the roofline. It's a total oddball even amongst Studes.
                          It's the same engine that's in my Green 62 that you borrowed for awhile. It still doesn't have any trouble doing 70.But now it does have OD.
                          Your Mama's 63 with OHV 6 and automatic was clocked at 90 once. That was after she broke the speedometer
                          Neil Thornton

Comment

Nice 61! Looks a lot like my 61 Lark that I drove to SB in 88 from Ca. It had slotted mags also.

Gordon S

Comment

Don't forget, the '61 Larks have Performability!

Comment

Working...
                              X