Studebaker Administration Building 1925

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Administration Building 1925

Interesting old photo found on Ebay by accident. The seller says Pittsburgh but we know better don't we? Not sure what the Carnegie Melon Kiltic band would be doing in South Bend at the Adm building but....
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Aha; I just solved my own riddle. I just checked the 1925 Notre Dame schedule and find they played Carnegie Tech on November 14, 1925 before 27,000 fans and won 26-0. The train station was just a few blocks from the Administration Building so the band obviously made a stop for a photo op.
    Richard Quinn

Comment

Did you attend that game, Richard? BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I wanted to Bob but we were running 3 shifts then turning out the new Standard Six and they wouldn't give me the time off.
        Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
          I wanted to Bob but we were running 3 shifts then turning out the new Standard Six and they wouldn't give me the time off.
          Ah, I thought you might have been retired by that time. 'Didn't know you were still on the line, Dick.

'Must've had quite a bit of seniority. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
            Aha; I just solved my own riddle. I just checked the 1925 Notre Dame schedule and find they played Carnegie Tech on November 14, 1925 before 27,000 fans and won 26-0. The train station was just a few blocks from the Administration Building so the band obviously made a stop for a photo op.
            Beat me to it. I checked out the photo and the first thought that hit my mind was that they were here for Notre Dame. Union Station is right around the corner. Irionically the Notre Dame Marching Band just left for Oklahoma tonight.
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              Ah, I thought you might have been retired by that time. 'Didn't know you were still on the line, Dick.

'Must've had quite a bit of seniority. BP
              I was holding on hoping to get my 20 year anniversary medal.
              Richard Quinn

Comment

A very good eye!!!

Photograph taken at the intersection of Bronson & Main Streets in South Bend looking northwest.

The Pennsylvania Railroad Station was directly across Bronson St. from the Studebaker Administration Building. Likely taken the morning of November 14, 1925, after the Carnegie Mellon Tartans marching band got off their train at Pennsylvania Station and proceeded to march the 2 miles north to the Notre Dame Football stadium.
                Last edited by Welcome; 10-26-2012, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Is it just the angle or my eyes or does it appear that street grade was much higher when that photo was taken than it is today?

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                    Is it just the angle or my eyes or does it appear that street grade was much higher when that photo was taken than it is today?
                    Yes, you are correct. A few years after this photo was taken a RR overpass was built on Main Street just to the right of this photo. At that time the grade was lowered.
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

The RR overpass was constructed in 1928.
                      sigpic

Mike Barany

Comment

Working...
                      X