Heads Up - GT Hawk at Copart in Van Nuys, CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads Up - GT Hawk at Copart in Van Nuys, CA

I pass a large Copart lot in Van Nuys on my daily commute. This morning I saw a GT Hawk in the lot very briefly when I passed it. It was so quick I couldn't tell the year, but it looked like a '63 or '64 and it only looked to be in fair condition. I checked the site, but nothing is listed yet:

I'll try to take some pictures from the train on Friday.
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

Here are the best pictures I could get from the moving train. It looks like a '64 - I might be wrong but I think I see chrome taillights. The grille is gone and the surrounds might be too. It looks like it is sitting high in the front so the engine might also be gone. The windows are either rolled down or missing - that would suggest an interior that's shot or gone. The good news is I don't see any front fender rust - but I was concentrating on taking quick pictures more than I was looking at the car itself.
    Attached Files
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Looking at the car today it seems that it is a '62 and it did appear to have the grille surrounds.
      Scott Rodgers
      Los Angeles
      SDC Member since 1989
      \'60 Lark HT
      \'63 Wagonaire
      \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Do I see a "R" series badge on bottom of right front fender ? Could be a "R" or "JT" series worth looking at for sure

Comment

I will look specifically for an "R" badge when I pass it tonight.
          Scott Rodgers
          Los Angeles
          SDC Member since 1989
          \'60 Lark HT
          \'63 Wagonaire
          \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

The headlight bezels look to be 63 or 64, and if there is an R badge, would also indicate those years.B.V.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.rodgers View Post
              Here are the best pictures I could get from the moving train. It looks like a '64 - I might be wrong but I think I see chrome taillights. The grille is gone and the surrounds might be too. It looks like it is sitting high in the front so the engine might also be gone. The windows are either rolled down or missing - that would suggest an interior that's shot or gone. The good news is I don't see any front fender rust - but I was concentrating on taking quick pictures more than I was looking at the car itself.
              Pretty hard to tell, but the color looks like Bermuda Brown which is a '64 color.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Looked at the car through a "monocular" this morning. No "R" badge on fender and grille surrounds are gone. Couldn't see taillights this morning because other cars are now parked near the GT - did look like they were chrome though when I saw them the other day. Back to thinking it's a '64.
                Scott Rodgers
                Los Angeles
                SDC Member since 1989
                \'60 Lark HT
                \'63 Wagonaire
                \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Almost forgot - yes, looks like '64 headlight bezels.
                  Scott Rodgers
                  Los Angeles
                  SDC Member since 1989
                  \'60 Lark HT
                  \'63 Wagonaire
                  \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

two things; What is a "copart lot" AND if anyone has a interest in an exceptional GT Hawk go to HTTP://kenmotorsports.blogspot.com/ 5 of my restorations are shown, three of which, including the GT, are for sale.

Comment

Copart is is auto auction company that people on the forum have seen Studebakers at from time to time. I'm not aware of anyone actually buying a Stude from them yet so it's impossible to tell if one can get a deal from them or not.
                      Scott Rodgers
                      Los Angeles
                      SDC Member since 1989
                      \'60 Lark HT
                      \'63 Wagonaire
                      \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

To: kmul221,----Funny,....I also was seeing (dreaming) I was looking at an 'R' badge in that side view of the car!

Comment

It looks like it's only some tape or a scratch on the lower fender.
                          Scott Rodgers
                          Los Angeles
                          SDC Member since 1989
                          \'60 Lark HT
                          \'63 Wagonaire
                          \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

That is so unbelievable for those of us in the midwest. You just never see a car like that in a junkyard around here...and haven't for 30 years!

Enjoy, you guys. BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The GT Hawk is now listed at Copart

Looks like a 1962 - also by VIN

Pekka
                              sigpic

1960 Lark VIII Regal convertible - 1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                              X