No announcement yet.

Corvette frames under Avanti Bodies!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Corvette frames under Avanti Bodies!?

I saw this on E-Bay this evening, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-...item416d7647c1, yikes!

I guess my question is, how would someone go about this? How much of the Corvette frame would need to be modified and how much of the Avanti's floor needs to be re-worked? I'm thinking that the original frame and hog troughs were rotted beyond salvage so what is there to lose?

Or is this a reasonable solution for the various geometry issues with the front suspension as well as getting independant rear suspension?

It's not hard to understand that the seller has lost interest, no doubt he has worked himself into a corner and can't see a way clear.

Either way, I am sure this one will win the contest for the most expensive "cheap" Avanti.

Ken Buchanan

Agreed, this is over the top.. However, I have seen an Avanti chassis' with C6 Vette front & rear suspension trucks welded to the Stude frame. It appeared very well done and fit like it was meant to..
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Looks like a lot of the hard work is already done. If I recall the LT1 in the Corvette was rated at 330 HP, and handling would be great. Sounds like fun to me and no one would know until you opened the hood.

Comment

What's the wheel base differences between the two cars? I'm thinking some frame lengthening had to occur to make it possible. Frame width also? Room for the independent rear suspension might need more clearance on the Avanti body. I'm of the thought that welding the Vette rear suspension on the Stude frame might have been a much easier option.
        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Avanti...109" wheelbase
          C4 Corvette...96.2" wheelbase

The C4 Corvette also has very tall frame rails surrounding the cockpit. One almost has to crawl in and out of them (a buddy has one...it's a real pain). The tall frame rails were due to the refusal of decision makers to go with a T-top design in favor of a targa top like Porsche...the tall frame rails were necessary to make the chassis stiff enough for the targa roof and convertibles.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Any can chassis can be placed under any car - Money, time and equipment/facilities are the big question - And dedication (which is what the seller ran out of). One of the Pismo Derelicts recently beautifuly finished the same conversion under a 55- 56 Olds two-door absolutely perfect - Only took 3 1/2 years.
            Paul TK

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
              Avanti...109" wheelbase
              C4 Corvette...96.2" wheelbase

The C4 Corvette also has very tall frame rails surrounding the cockpit. One almost has to crawl in and out of them (a buddy has one...it's a real pain). The tall frame rails were due to the refusal of decision makers to go with a T-top design in favor of a targa top like Porsche...the tall frame rails were necessary to make the chassis stiff enough for the targa roof and convertibles.
              Just thinking out loud but if you need to lengthen the frame than you have the opportunity to replace the center rails and make a more manageable setup.

Look in this Ebay ad and you will find a shot of an 82 chassis which I believe is close.

Like I said previously, I would truck over to Zion, IL if I was one Avanti less and take a good look. There's already been a large amount of modifications and without shots of the install there may some pleasant news.

Bob

Comment

i just posted on another thread in "general" about a C4 ('89) drivetrain, suspension, etc. - grafted into my '63 Avanti: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-Chassis-w-LT1

...with a link to Mr. Johnstone's site to pics of the suspension, etc. - all done by the P.O. http://www.studebaker-info.org/AVDB1...1384x1110.html
                Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I do not think putting it properly on a vette frame is possible. Re: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/what...is-136775.html

You would be better off trying to graft the front and rear suspensions to the stude frame. There are a couple of cars that I have seen with narrowed c4 rears in. There also was a 63 listed in Mississippi that had g-body front frame rails grafted from under the firewall. Used a S-10 rear as well. He didn't/wouldn't send me pictures showing the grafting conversion as it was already sold.

All a great question in search of a modern handling classic Avanti. Modify a 63-83 suspension or modify 87-88 Avanti fiberglass to ditch the silly bumpers?

Comment

I believe that Art Morrison makes a 120.5 inch frame for a 53-64 CK, with the similarities
                    it makes sense this could be shortened to work in an Avanti. There is a build thread for a
                    CK using this chassis somewhere on this Board.

Tom
                    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Originally posted by Red350DropTop View Post
                      I do not think putting it properly on a vette frame is possible. Re: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/what...is-136775.html

You would be better off trying to graft the front and rear suspensions to the stude frame. There are a couple of cars that I have seen with narrowed c4 rears in. There also was a 63 listed in Mississippi that had g-body front frame rails grafted from under the firewall. Used a S-10 rear as well. He didn't/wouldn't send me pictures showing the grafting conversion as it was already sold.

All a great question in search of a modern handling classic Avanti. Modify a 63-83 suspension or modify 87-88 Avanti fiberglass to ditch the silly bumpers?
                      Well, the car is back on with some pics showing the underside work, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-...item416e12d845 and it does look as if the frame is grafted. The pics are not the best and I am no expert on Avantis (I've looked at several but haven't been in a good place to make a reasonable bid) so it looks to my feeble mind to be the center section of an Avanti frame with Corvette front and rear sections grafted in. How well is anybody's guess, judging by the way the body was cut to make room. I have my doubts it was all that well done but maybe I'm being too harsh. Definately one that needs to be looked at VERY closely in person before bidding. I really believe someone worked themselves into a deep corner...

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
                        Well, the car is back on with some pics showing the underside work, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-...item416e12d845 and it does look as if the frame is grafted. The pics are not the best and I am no expert on Avantis (I've looked at several but haven't been in a good place to make a reasonable bid) so it looks to my feeble mind to be the center section of an Avanti frame with Corvette front and rear sections grafted in. How well is anybody's guess, judging by the way the body was cut to make room. I have my doubts it was all that well done but maybe I'm being too harsh. Definately one that needs to be looked at VERY closely in person before bidding. I really believe someone worked themselves into a deep corner...

Ken
                        Ken

I don't believe you are being to harsh. It appears to me that the original frame is present from the first body mount to the rear crossmember. It looks like there was a fabricated front subframe grafted to the original frame right where the lift arm is placed. I also think the hog troughs are modified or replaced with custom ones.

I'd say it is in the mock up stage as there is very little welding of the rear brackets to the frame. There is not enough information to really tell about the front suspension to my eyes.

You are correct it would be chancy to bid on it without examination but at best one would need to plan on pulling the body and doing a lot of reinforcing and welding at a minimum.

As I said previously, if I was one Avanti less, I'd take a ride as it went for $2500 initially and probably less this time around.

Not for the faint of heart, this project.

Bob

Comment

By looking at the Ebay pics, wouldn't it have been easier just to get an Avanti II?....
                          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                          X