Interested in an Avanti on a Vette Chassis w/LT1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interested in an Avanti on a Vette Chassis w/LT1

If I didn't have my Avanti Quota, as per she that sets the quota, I'd venture to Il and give this one a good look. I bet it needs a ton of finishing but!!!!

Bob

The should pique the interest of some "project lovers". That's a lot more project than I would want to tackle, interesting concept though. I would like to see what was done to the vette frame to set the body on and how it was done. "Hog Troughs? We don't need no stinkin' Hog Troughs!
    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

I just posted my thoughts on the Tech board about this.

Here they are.

What was the real initiative? Was he trying to improve the handling and solve the front end geometry issues while gaining IRS? Was the frame so far gone that there was nothing to lose? Or was he just royaly wasted one night and had no self control?

Regardless, I am sure this one will win for being the most expensive "cheap" Avanti, if it ever is finished! I would have to admit, if it is successfully finished, it could be a real sleeper on a mountain road. Otherwise, what a waste.

Ken Buchanan

Comment

The engine looks bad the way it is setting there tilted to an extreme.
        Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
        Fort Worth, TX

Comment

since i had a '63 Avanti with an '89 Corvette drivetrain and suspension parts "grafted" in - i'd be wary without underside pics. but mine handled better and had more power than the '80 Corvette i had at the time. but i basically paid $500 more than the new paint the p.o. had just had a pro lay down.

it also had the "engine angle" but not quite as bad as this one does.

if your want to see pics of the suspension, etc. of R-1384, go to Mr. Johnstone's site: http://www.studebaker-info.org/AVDB1...1384x1110.html

and if i knew then what i know now, i would have passed on her...
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Posted by Corvanti
            and if i knew then what i know now, i would have passed on her...
            Not wanting to pry but what were the issues that led you to say that. Just curious and thanks, Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
              Not wanting to pry but what were the issues that led you to say that. Just curious and thanks, Bob
              you mean not including the "nastygrams/emails" i got when i joined the forum? apparently i wasn't clear at first that i didn't "desecrate" her, the P.O. did...

that probably had something to do with a quick learning curve on all things Studebaker, and my later purchase of the "original survivor" '40 Champion. now, i don't give much of a rat's behind what others think - but it would have probably gone over better if it would have been an Avanti II.

as far as i know, the P.O. saved her from being parted out, going to the crusher... still had the hog troughs, frame, etc. and since i had a C3 Corvette (my 2nd one), i was comfortable with taking it on, although i wasn't too familiar with the C4.

my next purchase - if all goes well - is a sort of "modified" Studebaker with all Stude parts. should know in around 25 hours from now!

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                you mean not including the "nastygrams/emails" i got when i joined the forum? apparently i wasn't clear at first that i didn't "desecrate" her, the P.O. did...

that probably had something to do with a quick learning curve on all things Studebaker, and my later purchase of the "original survivor" '40 Champion. now, i don't give much of a rat's behind what others think - but it would have probably gone over better if it would have been an Avanti II.

as far as i know, the P.O. saved her from being parted out, going to the crusher... still had the hog troughs, frame, etc. and since i had a C3 Corvette (my 2nd one), i was comfortable with taking it on, although i wasn't too familiar with the C4.

my next purchase - if all goes well - is a sort of "modified" Studebaker with all Stude parts. should know in around 25 hours from now!
                I think I now understand what you meant. A dang shame but so is life in the forum. I still wish I had room so I could justify the drive to look it over.

I hope you find success with your next purchase and, if you decide to modify it, I'll send encouragement. Of course, that encouragement and $1.89 will get you a large coffee at 7-11.

Bob

Comment

thanks, Bob.

not much i will do if i get the next one - probably just some maintenance and any needed repairs.

i'll probably get "sniped" before the end of the auction, but i've been dreaming about her for a week. (actually much longer)...

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                    Awwww...now you know that's not fair. What have you got on the line? Inquiring minds want to know. At least from the ENCSDC.
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I emailed the seller, and he stated that "what you see is what you get". There is no chrome or interior, the body is not bolted to the frame. There is supposed to be a few pieces of side glass in the car.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Its a good case of "Buyer Beware", the lucky purchaser will be in for a real live project.
                        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                          I emailed the seller, and he stated that "what you see is what you get". There is no chrome or interior, the body is not bolted to the frame. There is supposed to be a few pieces of side glass in the car.
                          Yup, Just received the same answer from the seller. While it would be an interesting project, the cost of replacing all of the essential parts to put it on the road would make it a very expensive project.

Better to start with a cheap II and a Vette chassis if one is interested in this type of project.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                            Awwww...now you know that's not fair. What have you got on the line? Inquiring minds want to know. At least from the ENCSDC.
                            Joe, PM sent.

Comment

Working...
                            X