We Invented 4X4 Cool, too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Invented 4X4 Cool, too!

'Ran across the front cover of the July 1981 Turning Wheels while looking for something else and was reminded of the pair of cool red 4X4s at the 1980 Gettysburg SDC National Meet.

I'm not sure if this is one of them, but it looks like a candidate:

As Barbara Mandrell would say, SDC was "country" when country wasn't cool! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I have to agree, That is one fine looking truck!
    Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

darn, where is that drool napkin?

Comment

Looks like the one on the right has the under-bumper rectangular fog lights. Here are two fine looking trucks. GETTYSBURG, 1980

Last edited by rockne10; 10-22-2012, 05:37 PM.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Right, Brad. That was the pair to which I referred in the OP.

IIRC, they were owned by a pair of brothers. Do you remember the names, or know what happened to those trucks?

'Seems like I heard they were bought by the city of Cleveland to be used as salt-spreaders during the roughest parts of winter along the lakefront....

JUST KIDDING, everyone. Calm down. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob,

Might it be David and Calvin Walker of Chessnee, South Carolina ? Between the two of them, they had a tremendous collection of Studebakers.

Dan Miller
            Auburn, GA

Comment

Ok guys but was studebaker really the first ???

I hope so !

Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by ROADRACELARK View Post
                Might it be David and Calvin Walker of Chessnee, South Carolina ? Between the two of them, they had a tremendous collection of Studebakers.
                Appears to be so:

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
                  Ok guys but was studebaker really the first ???

I hope so !

Dean.
                  Nope,

1901 cotta.

Comment

Those two trucks still reside about thirty miles from me....along with many other great Studebakers...all secure and out of the weather.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by ROADRACELARK View Post
                      Bob,

Might it be David and Calvin Walker of Chessnee, South Carolina ? Between the two of them, they had a tremendous collection of Studebakers. Dan Miller Auburn, GA
                      Right, Dan; the truck in the OP is David's. I just checked inside that July 1981 Turning Wheels. BP

Comment

Bob this would make a great article for you in your HCC column then you could autograph it for me.
                        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
                          Bob this would make a great article for you in your HCC column then you could autograph it for me.
                          You mean an article about these trucks, Don? That might be a little off-base for my HCC assignment, although I've pretty much got carte blanc there.

My two "instructions" when solicited to do the column were that the column was to deal only with domestic makes (because they have another magazine for imports) and I was to deal with the industry and its products, not personalities (because they have another monthly column devoted to personalities).

I suppose I could tie those trucks into an article on early 4-wheel-drive vehicles, but with only 4 columns per year, I've got about a year's worth of ideas lined up already.

Thanks for the thought, and for reading Hemmings Classic Car. (Do you have your December issue yet? Funny thing is, my December column tied in well with the 1930s Art-Deco styling theme of that issue, but I had no idea that was what they'd be doing in December! Purely coincidence.) BP

Comment

Bob, I actually meant an article on Studebaker 4-wheel drive trucks and or the introduction of them to the general public. I do have Decembers HCC and just completed a thorough front to rear read last night. I generally look through it and read things of interest like Pat Foster and Bob Palma the first time and then sit down and read the entire magazine including the articles I had previously read. I really enjoyed your piece and it did tie in nicely with the Art Deco article.

Another article that caught my eye was Jim Donnelly;s "Automotive Pioneers" article on the Appersons. My Grandfather, Carl A. Jones, had an Apperson Jack Rabbit as his first car in the early 1900's. His car was one of the first vehicles in my hometown Bristol Virginia and in the picture below he is on the right in the front seat and the building in the background was his bottling plant. The family's franchise was granted in 1902 when he was 21 years old.

Click image for larger version

Name:	carljonescocacolai.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1675819

I have all copies of HCC from the very first issue as it is a great magazine. Glad to see you are a part of it.
                            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Great photo Don - and I love the claim on the bottom of the sign on the wall!

Nice to have those family items like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X