R2 Daytona day 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2 Daytona day 5

Jeff wire brushed and ground out all the rust on the inner fenders and cowl. We filled some small holes with fiberglass reinforced
    putty. He'll take two weeks off, then we'll do new seam sealer, and undercoat with my left over Herculiner bed liner and start thinking about hanging the sheet metal back on. BTW, it's a good idea to pull the sheet metal even on a car like this that was not showing any external rust. You can see how the rust will work it's way out from the top of the rear quarter seam for example.

JDP/Maryland
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    64 GT R2
    63 GT R2
    63 Lark 2 door
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

JP, try to get some 2 part epoxy seam sealer, or better yet, the sprayable seam sealer works great! but, the "gun" is about $300, and the sprayable seam seal is about $25 a tube and it goes FAST. I think I used about 6 tubes of it on the 62 ragtop.

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

JP, try to get some 2 part epoxy seam sealer, or better yet, the sprayable seam sealer works great! but, the "gun" is about $300, and the sprayable seam seal is about $25 a tube and it goes FAST. I think I used about 6 tubes of it on the 62 ragtop.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

We'll just use the good 3M stuff, should be good for 50 years or since Jeff won't even drive in the rain when the car is done if he can avoid it.

JDP/Maryland
        64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
        64 GT R2
        63 GT R2
        63 Lark 2 door
        58 Starlight
        52 & 53 Starliner
        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

We'll just use the good 3M stuff, should be good for 50 years or since Jeff won't even drive in the rain when the car is done if he can avoid it.

JDP/Maryland
          64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
          64 GT R2
          63 GT R2
          63 Lark 2 door
          58 Starlight
          52 & 53 Starliner
          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Is this the first documented hardtop to have been changed from Red[^] to Brown[xx(]? I mean, isn't that carrying The Plain Brown Wrapper thing a little far...after all, there's nothing plain about a full-package 1964 Daytona Hardtop!

(Just kidding: I realize it was painted brown by someone else long before we took The PBW to Stanton in September 1998.)

Keep up the good work, Jeff and John; the car looks to be well worth the effort. 'Love the photos. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Is this the first documented hardtop to have been changed from Red[^] to Brown[xx(]? I mean, isn't that carrying The Plain Brown Wrapper thing a little far...after all, there's nothing plain about a full-package 1964 Daytona Hardtop!

(Just kidding: I realize it was painted brown by someone else long before we took The PBW to Stanton in September 1998.)

Keep up the good work, Jeff and John; the car looks to be well worth the effort. 'Love the photos. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob,
                That particular car has been brown for a long time. I considered buying it back in the late 70's or early 80's and it was brown then. I think it was in Virginia at the time and the price was $800. My choice at that point in time was that Daytona or a 63 Standard. I opted for the Standard as I could only afford one.

Comment

Bob,
                  That particular car has been brown for a long time. I considered buying it back in the late 70's or early 80's and it was brown then. I think it was in Virginia at the time and the price was $800. My choice at that point in time was that Daytona or a 63 Standard. I opted for the Standard as I could only afford one.

Comment

I wonder if this is the same car that showed up at a NC Chapter meet at the Pollyrosa Restaurant in Tobaccoville NC, must have been about 1977.

As I recall it was a brown full package R2 Daytona and the owner was asking $1,000 for it. I was also told it had a broken piston ring.

Jeff DeWitt
                    Jeff DeWitt
                    http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

I wonder if this is the same car that showed up at a NC Chapter meet at the Pollyrosa Restaurant in Tobaccoville NC, must have been about 1977.

As I recall it was a brown full package R2 Daytona and the owner was asking $1,000 for it. I was also told it had a broken piston ring.

Jeff DeWitt
                      Jeff DeWitt
                      http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

I'd bet it was the same car, because the engine has been rebuilt since then, and the sale price went up a bit.

JDP/Maryland
                        64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                        64 GT R2
                        63 GT R2
                        63 Lark 2 door
                        58 Starlight
                        52 & 53 Starliner
                        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I'd bet it was the same car, because the engine has been rebuilt since then, and the sale price went up a bit.

JDP/Maryland
                          64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                          64 GT R2
                          63 GT R2
                          63 Lark 2 door
                          58 Starlight
                          52 & 53 Starliner
                          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                          X