No announcement yet.

Headliner - repairs and cleaning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Headliner - repairs and cleaning?

(1962 Lark)

The seam between the first two panels of the headliner (counting from the windshield toward the back) seems to have become un-sewn. It's not ripped - all the holes are still there (so, it didn't tear apart like notebook paper) - can it be re-sewn without having it taken out? Obviously by hand - but has anyone done this before?

Apart from smudges (which I haven't attempted yet to clean, but probably will) it's in otherwise really good condition, and I'd rather keep as much of the original as possible than get a whole new one in there.

Speaking of cleaning - is there anything I should *not* use to clean the headliner? It all looks like run of the mill finger printy dirt, nothing outrageous.

Considering one seam has already failed, I wouldn't risk attempting to clean the rest of it. The threads are the weakest component of the headliner assembly. Not only do they hold the vinyl panels together, there is the cloth sleeve that the support rods go through.....second weakest component. Through time, moisture makes the rods rust and damages the sleeves causing the headliner to "sag". Your best bet is a good trim shop that can remove the headliner, disassemble it, install new sleeves using new thread, of course, reassemble and install. Good luck in finding a shop that will work (try to work) with old material. They'll probably insist on using new material as I doubt they will "guarantee" their work using 50 year old components. Again, good luck.

Dan Miller
    Auburn, GA

Comment

Throw in the towell on this. Just get a new headliner or different car. jimmijim
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

If you do decide to try to re-stitch it by hand,
        you might consider using GT Hawk stainless bows to hide your work.

Did that on my '64 Cruiser with some success.

Comment

Thanks - luckily I live in an old-car-loving area, so finding a shop might not be too hard at that. I like the idea of the stainless bows, too.

Jimmijim8 - "Different car"?! Hmph!

Comment

Perhaps you can find a Grand Torino with those stainless roof bows that simulate the roof bows as in a convertible. Two door hardtops in their early years of existence circa 49-56 were referred to as Hardtop Convertibles. cheers
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I think I am going to seek professional help, instead. There's a guy who comes recommended in Portland.

Bright Auto Upholstery is your local source for auto upholstery in Portland. Call us today for custom auto upholstery for your car or truck.

Comment

Or, try Premier Auto Upholstery in Gresham, OR. Owner Mark Hays has done lots of Studebakers. 503-740-3865 or 503-663-3936

Comment

Thanks! Very good to know, too!

Comment

Working...
                  X