1963 Avanti owned by Robert Kennedy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Avanti owned by Robert Kennedy

I have a 63 Avanti that supposedly was owned by Robert Kennedy. Did he own one? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

To: tbone63,-----Well this is something new! It fits right into the time period. Do You happen to have the production order for You Avanti?...it may indicate final destination.

Comment

Welcome to the SDC Forum!

I think that it is highly unlikely, but still possible.
      What does your build sheet say about delivery dealer/location, "sold car', special instructions, etc.? This is assuming that he was the original owner. I can't imagine him buying a used Avanti.
      What is the S/N? Someone here may have some past history on the car.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I've read that RFK had a Firebird...don't know what model or engine. It was kept by the family and was pretty beat up after all the kids learned how to drive in it.

Never heard of him having an Avanti..it's not mentioned on the Avanti web sites.
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

The Serial number is 63R 2563.The owner before me was Paul Bolt.He was a member of the avanti owners association.His member number was 0374818.Car was shipped to Chicago according to the build sheet.Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tbone63 View Post
            The Serial number is 63R 2563.The owner before me was Paul Bolt.He was a member of the avanti owners association.His member number was 0374818.Car was shipped to Chicago according to the build sheet.Thanks
            I would think that RFK would pick up a new car in either Mass. or Calif. (or possibly at the factory) and not in Chicago.

Your Avanti is not listed in the 2011 AOAI Roster. Also, no Bolt. EDIT: Also, no Anticola.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It could be like George Costanza's (Seinfield) car which was once owned by Jon Voight.
              Unfortunately it was Jon Voight the dentist not the actor.
              pb

Comment

Didn't we also go through this with Johnny Carson's Avanti?

Comment

Maybe i will find a pencil in the car with his teeth marks LOL!!! Hey it was worth a shot.The previous owner was pretty sure it was Robert Kennedys car. According to all the paperwork i found.

Comment

To: tbone63,--Whoever owned Your Avanti, it looks like they took good care of it! (The STUDEBAKER nameplate needs to be restored to the trunk lid though!!)

Comment

Originally posted by 63r2 View Post
                      It could be like George Costanza's (Seinfield) car which was once owned by Jon Voight.
                      Unfortunately it was Jon Voight the dentist not the actor.
                      pb
                      I bought Jeffrey Osborn's Cadillac Allante. Not the singer but the air traffic controller in Napa.
                      Jon Stalnaker
                      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I think the Kennedy family had Chicago ties. I believe they owned the Merchandise Mart at one point.

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
                          I think the Kennedy family had Chicago ties. I believe they owned the Merchandise Mart at one point.
                          Good recollection. That jibes with notes from an architecture course I took in college.
                          I'm digging those Raydot (style) mirrors.
                          Andy
                          62 GT

Comment

There were (and are) a lot of 'Robert Kennedy's'. I know because I have been seeking the wherabouts of an old friend 'Robert Kennedy' for years.
                            It is entirely possible that -a- 'Robert Kennedy', not the famous one, once owned this Avanti.

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
                              I believe they still do. William Kennedy Smith was sent here to manage the family's Chicago interests after the rape scandal and his office was/is there.

Comment

Working...
                              X