No announcement yet.

Help...is this a Studebaker gas tank??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help...is this a Studebaker gas tank??

From time to time I have people asking about used gas tanks this past week i have had 2 people ask about one for a 50 and I thought I had 2 of them but when I checked they were different one is a 50 but the other is now up in the air, here is a couple of pictures of it maybe some can tell me if Studebaker or not, if not it will go to scrap. the size is about 34" long and 24" wide and fills on the pass side , the filler is one solid metal one with out any rubber sections, help please.

Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

I've spent a lot of time around old Hudson's, Oldsmobiles, Fords & Studebakers. Of those makes, the only one that didn't use metal 'straps' to hold up the gas tank was Stude. Your tank appears to have mounting holes in the lip around the tank that mount it directly to the frame like Studebaker used. I'd guess it's Studebaker but don't know what year. Sorry that isn't much help, but, maybe a good start.

Comment

I've taken apart Stude cars and trucks from '47 thru '66 and I can't recall one that had a fully steel filler neck. All I know of have a section of rubber in the filler neck.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It`s a metal tank that holds gas .

Comment

It could be off a 1947, they had the long fill neck and did not have the spare tire cut out in the floor
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
            It could be off a 1947, they had the long fill neck and did not have the spare tire cut out in the floor
            But I believe that a 1947 had the filler on the driver's side (left), not the passenger side (right).
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I just removed, repaired and replaced a tank on a '47 Commander ragtop, and this looks similar-has the vent hole above the filler, and the sender off to the side. The filler tube had a rubber section though. If I'm looking at this right, the filler is on the left side???

Comment

No the filler tube is on the right side if it were turned over and on the left side then the sender would be up side down, sure is a strange one , don't remember where it came form either, it will more the likely end up as scrap.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

If it is, or was, Studebaker, I'm guessing it was pre-war, mid thirties to maybe '46 with the filler somewhere on the fender. Could be worth a couple bucks if you can identify it. If it's in your way, there's probably enough metal there to make a whole Hyundai.
                  Last edited by rockne10; 10-15-2012, 06:21 PM.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I looked at the '47 parts book yesterday. While it doesn't spell it out, there was a gas tank used on '47s that doesn't call for a rubber section. The book states that AFTER that supply of tanks are exhausted, a different part number tank is to be subbed. That substitute tank DOES use a rubber section - whereas no rubber section is listed for the earlier tank. As well, the metal filler neck is listed for the second tank, but hot the first one. So one might ASSUME the earlier tank would've had it's filler neck as an integral part. But then there's the little problem of the neck seeming to be on the wrong side. AND - if the neck IS on the right-hand side, then the parts book would list a RIGHT rear fender with a gas door - which it doesn't. Later I'll look at the pre-war books to see if such a tank is listed.
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hello, Had a lot of trouble with a very early 1947 Champion gas tank, this tank looks all to familiar.
                      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Maybe a Conestoga? Or other wagon?
                        101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

This tank looks like the tank in my '48 Starlight coupe. My filler tube has the rubber tube. There is a bubble on the floor of the trunk for the gauge sender unit to fit into. This tank has the same sender unit in the same place as my tank. Why do you think the filler is on the right side of the car? The filler tube does come out of the bottom corner of the tank, has a sharp swing towards the front of the car. I think Roscoe has the answer.

Comment

This is not for any 1950 or 1951 stude. If you do not have , I have many for sale.

Comment

Working...
                            X