62 gt hawk convertible question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 gt hawk convertible question

I am thinking of making my GT Hawk a convertible. Is there a top from another studebaker model that would fit this? This is all hypothetical by the way. I am kind of into bringing things back to original ,which is probably what I will do, but they look sooo cool with the top down! Any thoughts from anyone?

Why would you want to take a great looking car and do that to it?

Comment

If you can find a copy of TW,May 2004 issue-there's the story and two 2 great pictures of convert. Started witha 56 Golden hawk,53 front sheet metal,and the convertible top was from a '64 Dodge Dart. Awesome car!
      It belonged at that time,to a Steve And Carol Hudson,apparently from the state of Oregon.
      You wouldn't necessarily want a convertible top from a Stude product,but anything from a brand X which would be the right width and length.
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by kpayne9449 View Post
        I am thinking of making my GT Hawk a convertible. Is there a top from another studebaker model that would fit this? This is all hypothetical by the way. I am kind of into bringing things back to original ,which is probably what I will do, but they look sooo cool with the top down! Any thoughts from anyone?
        Here's a link to Steve Hudson's 53 vert that is a neat vehicle with some explanation of what he did to make it work. Remember, you are working with a frame that is not designed to be without a roof to help rigidity. But Steve's is proof it can be done.

Bob

Comment

Steve Hudson's '53 convertible looks so nice,....so 'right'....that I'm afraid it will motivate many people with C/K's to stock up on hacksaw blades!

Comment

Thanks for posting the link, Bob.

A beautiful car. I had never read the full story on it.

Comment

I really doubt I would do it but the converibles I have seen look so great. I don't know why they didnt make them. I am afraid of the structural integrity and like I said I like original. When I bought the vehicle a few months ago the owner mentioned something that stuck with me about the "cash for clunkers' deal a while back and she was right, these cars are becoming more and more scarce. It's almost patriotic at this point to preserve as much as we can from our great nations history and as a lot of it was founded on the automobile I like to think I am helping to maintain a fingerprint. It is kind of a shame to distort anything if originality is possible and thats why I wont change the radio out from the AM unit that is in it now because I love it so much, even if I only get a couple of stations clearly. It needs paint and has some surface rust and I am torn between clear coating it as it sits and preserving the present condition but I think I will bring it back to the silver shine. Anyways just a few thoughts on my new obsession with Studebaker. I wasn't even alive when the company went under and I have no ties to it other than the one I purchesed based on looks and feel alone but I know I will have my girl for a long time and it will probably be my daughters first car.

Comment

I really doubt I would do it but the converibles I have seen look so great. I don't know why they didnt make them. I am afraid of the structural integrity and like I said I like original. When I bought the vehicle a few months ago the owner mentioned something that stuck with me about the "cash for clunkers' deal a while back and she was right, these cars are becoming more and more scarce. It's almost patriotic at this point to preserve as much as we can from our great nations history and as a lot of it was founded on the automobile I like to think I am helping to maintain a fingerprint. It is kind of a shame to distort anything if originality is possible and thats why I wont change the radio out from the AM unit that is in it now because I love it so much, even if I only get a couple of stations clearly. It needs paint and has some surface rust and I am torn between clear coating it as it sits and preserving the present condition but I think I will bring it back to the silver shine. Anyways just a few thoughts on my new obsession with Studebaker. I wasn't even alive when the company went under and I have no ties to it other than the one I purchesed based on looks and feel alone but I know I will have my girl for a long time and it will probably be my daughters first car.
                That post will warm a lot of hearts here. Many here like that attitude.
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Seen Saturday, October 13 at the WAAAM Car Show in Hood River, Oregon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4560.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1675720

Comment

That car is really TOO cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I really doubt I would do it but the converibles I have seen look so great. I don't know why they didnt make them.
                      Ditto. The coupes all seem to have been designed with the idea in mind, the conversions look so good.

Comment

Any Dart or Valiant from -63 to -66 have the same body, but the Darts have a longer wheel-base, easily spotted on a 4-door where there's a gap behind the rear door & the wheel-arch, so that would also mean a longer roof & maby a Valiant is to short.
                        Or maby not...
                        & then there's also Rambler American to consider size-wise.

Comment

Hi

It would be a worthwhile custom project, though one to be planned and executed carefully. As has been pointed out, the folding top mechanism which is most readily available and fits with fewer modifications is that of the '63-'66 Darts and Valiants. Maintaining and enhancing the structural integrity is the key to having a satisfactory finished product. To that objective, a frame X-member, additional boxing in the floors and gusseted pillars and cowl are de rigeur.

One of the easiest ways to understand how body engineers kept the structural integrity in a convertible versus it's hardtop basis is to study differences shown in the exploded views and parts lists of most any carmaker that produced both styles in a series. Doing so, the differences become quickly apparent.

For your project, advice from those who already have successfully converted a K-body will also be invaluable before you start.

Good luck and keep us posted about your decision and progress.

Steve

Comment

I have noticed that my '51 rag top does not have a special frame w/X member, and less sophisticated sub floor boxes than the K bodies have, yet 47-52 converts are reasonably rigid when in good shape. After the tin worms attack, opening the door may result in a broken foot, though.
                            A local guy has a very nice restored '51 street rod convertible (see www.studebakersite.com) which has had the rusty floor boxes replaced with some strong square tubing which does not have an original look, but makes the body very solid. It can be had for $25K and needs nothing. Anyone wanting a rag top would be much wiser to buy this car rather than taking on a tough, costly, and long term project like converting a K body into a convertible.

Comment

Working...
                            X