Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the hardest Studebaker Fuel pump to replace??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the hardest Studebaker Fuel pump to replace??????

What Studebaker has the hardest fuel pump to replace?

I just had to replace a fuel pump on a 50 Commander. It has 4 lines going to it, is hard to get onto the engine, you have to stand on your head to work on it and the clearance is not much. Getting all those fittings put on without crossing threads was a challenge. While working on this one definitely considers the merits of an electric pump and forgetting about the pump driving the wiper motor.

This is harder than any V8 or champ 6 fuel pump I have replace.

Any other hard Studebaker pumps to replace?
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post

I just had to replace a fuel pump on a 50 Commander. It has 4 lines going to it, is hard to get onto the engine, you have to stand on your head to work on it and the clearance is not much. Getting all those fittings put on without crossing threads was a challenge. While working on this one definitely considers the merits of an electric pump and forgetting about the pump driving the wiper motor.

'65/'66 V8 pumps are pretty mean with that stupid plunger you have to make sure doesn't get away and they are awfully tight to the frame. I gave up on a '65 Cruiser and went block-off plate and electric pump.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

All you have to do on '65 - '66 V-8's is remove the sub-plate (behind the fuel pump mounting flange) then remove the fuel pump push rod, smear it with some grease and re-insert it. The grease will hold it up out of the way so you can readily install the fuel pump. Almost any auto parts store will stock the gasket that goes between the sub-plate and the block.

Comment

While putting a fuel pump on a small block Chevy motor can be frustrating exercise, the easiest way to keep the push rod up out of the way, while you bolt up the pump goes like this. Most earlier Chevy small blocks have the drilled bosses present at the front of the block where in the mid fifties Chevies had their front motor mounts. These bosses still have the holes drilled and tapped. One hole will have a bolt stuck in it as it is open to the fuel pump area, to prevent oil leakage. Remove this 3/8ths x 1" bolt and temporarily replace with a 1 1/2" bolt. Screw this in finger tight until it contacts the fuel pump push rod and it will hold the rod in place while you bolt up the pump. (Pump will install easier if the rod is on the low side of the eccentric, rotate engine to accomplish this). Reinstall original short bolt when finished. Makes it about a 15 minute job.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

65/'66 V8 shoe are pretty impart with that dull swimmer you bang to piss trusty doesn't get away and they are awful waterproof to the framing. I gave up on a '65 Car and went block-off sheet and electric ticker.

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post

Hopefully you don't have two more to go!
            By the way, how many miles were on this one and what was the problem that caused you to need to replace the fuel pump? Just wondering in case I ever have this issue...
            sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
            Regal Deluxe Trim
            Automatic transmission
            46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

I've found that unbolting the power steering pump on Studebaker Avantis and C/K's with p/s, and resting it on the engine (with hoses still attached), is a lot easier than trying to work around it
              on a V8 fuel pump replacement.

Comment

This 50 commander has 53k on it. I previously replaced the fuel pump a couple years ago. This one was pumping oil out the vent holes. This winter I am going to rebuild one with the more modern kits the vendors sell. I assume the newer gas is not agreeing with the 1950 era rubbers in the pump. Both replacements were NOS pumps.
                Milt

1961 Hawk 4-speed
                1967 Avanti
                1961 Lark 2 door
                1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Milt, any chance you could post a pic of the Commander pump? I've got two NOS pumps with the extra stuff for the wiper motor. And I don't know if they're for a Champion or Commander.

Comment

Originally posted by HyBall View Post
                    65/'66 V8 shoe are pretty impart with that dull swimmer you bang to piss trusty doesn't get away and they are awful waterproof to the framing.
                    Sentence of the year.
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                      Sentence of the year.
                      I did not understand that sentence at all actually. Translation???

Comment

It is completely un-understandable. At a level never seen before. No one else has come close. Thus, sentence of the Year.
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

HyBall gave up on the mechanical fuel pump in His '65 Studebaker. He then put a block off plate on the engine, and installed an electric fuel pump. (ticker)

Comment

Matt, Is there a number on the pump on the side of the flange where it mounts? If so post it and I will see if it is in my old fuel pump catalog and can hopefully tell what it fits. The late forties commander vacuum pumps look similar but the filter has a different angle. You can actually remove the screws on the top and rotate the pump to work just like you can for the later 6 cyl pumps.

If there is not a number on yours I will post a picture
                            Milt

1961 Hawk 4-speed
                            1967 Avanti
                            1961 Lark 2 door
                            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I was thinking Hyball was using a google translator. English to another language and then back to English. I played with it when emailing a Mexican sweetie. Sent her $300 and never heard from her again. Later found out she got married and I paid for the wedding. Never trust a translator.
                              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
                              X