Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Engine Builder

Hi all,

Does anyone have a suggestion on where to have a 259 V8 built? I have attempted to build one in the past and I did alright. It ran great and I put lots of miles on it before I sold it. This time I think it would be best to have someone else do it.

I am in Northern California.

Thanks!

Most any "competent" shop should be able to do this....it isn't proverbial, rocket science. Just a coupla things odd to Stude's, not a big deal. And really...those coupla things..aren't really just Stude things, just older engine things..!

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike. I'll talk to the shops around here and see what I come up with.

Comment

I know of 3 here in the bay area.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Are you wanting a stock rebuild or a performance engine?

Check with your local sources for their pricing and then shoot me a PM.

FWIW, one SDCer here was afraid of the shipping cost. By the time he was done, he'd paid the local shop more than the round trip shipping to Spokane.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Jack - I am looking for a performance engine. I'm a little ways away from being ready for the engine, but wanted to kind of get it figured out. I'll shoot you a PM soon.

Thanks!
            Forrest

Comment

Are a variety of stock Studebaker exchange engines available?

Comment

FWIW, I don't keep any rebuild Studebaker V8s on the shelf. Without fail, whatever I've got, the person making an inquiry always wants something different. Result; they're built to order.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  FWIW, one SDCer here was afraid of the shipping cost. By the time he was done, he'd paid the local shop more than the round trip shipping to Spokane.

jack vines

I can sympathize with that!

Comment

Im just in the midst of finding an engine rebuilder in Calgary alberta .. I dont have an idea of what is a reasonable price for an engine rebuild ..
                    Any ideas out there?? Spokane isnt to far off if its cheaper and would be done right the first time..
                    Love my Lark

Comment

In checking for quotes:

Are the cylinder bores diamond-honed to within .0005"?
                      Are the main bearing bores line-honed?
                      Are the rods re-conditioned?
                      Is the block square decked?
                      Will the heads be decked, hard exhaust seats, new guides, valves, springs, keepers?
                      Will the completed long block be run on a SimTest machine to check for coolant leaks, oil pressure, lifter rotation?

While each build is to specification, in round numbers, on your long block:

Typical stock rebuild with all new wear parts and everything re-machined is $2995.

A performance engine with R3-size valves, beehive springs, custom pushrods, R1 cam, aluminum cam gear, custom pistons - $3995.

At present, I'm about 4-6 months out on custom builds.

jack vines
                      Last edited by PackardV8; 11-05-2013, 08:23 AM.
                      PackardV8

Comment

This is great information to go by .. I will be meeting with a couple engine builders in Calgary and I can certainly ask them these questions and then decide from there ..
                        Thanks very much for the help .. Will they know about dial indicating an engine into the car ? Is this a common thing with older models or just Studebakers mostly ?
                        The reason I ask is that the engine was replaced a few years back and it wasnt dialed in properly .. Thanks again
                        Love my Lark

Comment

I went to what was called a reliable racing builder here in the North Bay. He rebuilds racing engines and has been around for years. He said it would take 6 weeks to 2 months. After 6 months and $5,500. I got the engine back. It had never been run or tested in any way. After 4,000 mi. it still has no pep and is not easy to start. I think the damper was put on the crank out of line. Can not use factory marks for timing and #1 on the distributor faces the Battery. It won't run if turned forward as should be. This is a 259 in a '56 Power Hawk. Be sure you here it run before you lay out your money!
                          John

Comment

Studebakers West, Redwood City
                            Lou Van Anne
                            62 Champ
                            64 R2 GT Hawk
                            79 Avanti II

Comment

Thanks Jer for that advice .. I think some kind of warranty would be with an engine that cost that much to build .?? Its a lot of money to put out so to do it right the first time would be best .. Although most times it doesn't work out that way for me ..
                              Lou Van Anne Im not sure what your trying to say??
                              Love my Lark

Comment

Working...
                              X