Reclining Front Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reclining Front Seats

I'ts my understanding that Stude brought back reclining front seats with the introduction of the Lark in '59. Can anyone shed some light on when they were first offered and when they ceased to be offered in the mid-fifties? Thanks, Dan

Don't know anything about reclining seats being discontinued, our '64 had them. They reclined all the way down to 'flat' with the back seat seat. I have vague memories of a girlfriend really liking that.

Comment

They were also optional on Hawks from '59-'64. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
      Auburn, GA

Comment

Bob, thanks for the reply, however, I think they were offered for a while in the early 50's, then stopped, then reintroduced in '59 with the Lark. It's that timeframe I'm trying to tie down. Thanks, Dan

Comment

Originally posted by CarCrosswordDan View Post
          I'ts my understanding that Stude brought back reclining front seats with the introduction of the Lark in '59.
          You might be thinking of Nashes and Ramblers. They had optional reclining seats from the early 40's and maybe earlier than that.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

RoadRaceLark, thanks but trying to go backwards from '59 not forward. Thanks, Dan (personal: built a '64 Falcon MonteCarlo Roadracer in earier days. Hope you're enjoying the Lark. Would like to learn more about it. My email is : dan@dansextremecarcrosswords.com)

Comment

Originally posted by BobGlasscock View Post
              They reclined all the way down to 'flat' with the back seat seat. I have vague memories of a girlfriend really liking that.
              Where is the LIKE button when you need it.
              Tom
              sigpic

Comment

I think 1959 was the first year Studebaker offered reclining seats.

Joe

Bob, thanks for the reply, however, I think they were offered for a while in the early 50's, then stopped, then reintroduced in '59 with the Lark. It's that timeframe I'm trying to tie down. Thanks, Dan
                sigpic

1962 Daytona
                1964 Cruiser
                And a few others

Comment

Nash had them in the 40's, but Studebaker only had them from 59-up
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

bezhawk, Thanks for the reply. I'm just thinking somewhere I read that Stude offered them in the eary days, like the 30's . At any rate, I'll keep looking because I know some material I have says that "Studebaker reintroduced reclining front seats in '59. That tells me they had them before. Thanks as always, Dan

Comment

Bob, so is it safe to assume that if she liked them you really liked them!! Thanks, Dan

Comment

Bob, so is it safe to assume that if she liked them you really liked them!! Thanks, Dan
                        Very safe assumption, Dan. Very safe. That Daytona became a much nicer car than an Olds 98 Luxury Sedan.

Comment

How 'bout checking the September 2012 T/W? Page 8. "The Slumber Coupe." Dan, do you have that handy?
                          KURTRUK
                          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Kurtruk, don't think I have that edition easily availabe. Some interesting info there? Thanks,
                            Dan

Comment

"THE SLUMBER COUPE:" If you think Nash originated the idea of rigging auto cushions to make a bed, consider the Slumber Coupe of th early '40s. The seat backs went flat, just as they did in the 1960s, and a mattress-and-pad made the resulting surface a little flatter. Edwards [Iron Works, Inc. South Bend] made this conversion as well, and the customer could have one seat ($12.50) or both ($19.00) rigged this way.

From: There's A Studebaker For That by George L. Hamlin

I thought you had maybe recently read it there. If you aren't getting Turning Wheels, you're really missing out!
                              KURTRUK
                              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X