Arrgh! I destroyed the hood on my '53 Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrgh! I destroyed the hood on my '53 Coupe

Crap, I feel your pain having watched a Studebaker hood fold up on me once and it was "latched". The few milliseconds it takes as you see it lift the first inch or two seems like a lifetime.

JDP/Maryland
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    64 GT R2
    63 GT R2
    63 Lark 2 door
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Crap, I feel your pain having watched a Studebaker hood fold up on me once and it was "latched". The few milliseconds it takes as you see it lift the first inch or two seems like a lifetime.

JDP/Maryland
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    64 GT R2
    63 GT R2
    63 Lark 2 door
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

That is a bummer . Hoods are still available...but it may take a while to find one. I bought that near perfect one from Kent that he had advertised for weeks here on the forum prior to the international meet for $300. Picked it up in South Bend. It is for a buddy building a '53 hot rod.

I didn't latch the hood on my Starliner once and drove about 25 miles on the freeway before I noticed it. Stopped and shut the hood. If the safety latch has a good strong spring and connects properly with the hole it fits into in the panel, it should hold the hood no problem if the hood isn't latched or if the latch fails.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

That is a bummer . Hoods are still available...but it may take a while to find one. I bought that near perfect one from Kent that he had advertised for weeks here on the forum prior to the international meet for $300. Picked it up in South Bend. It is for a buddy building a '53 hot rod.

I didn't latch the hood on my Starliner once and drove about 25 miles on the freeway before I noticed it. Stopped and shut the hood. If the safety latch has a good strong spring and connects properly with the hole it fits into in the panel, it should hold the hood no problem if the hood isn't latched or if the latch fails.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Yes, this time I will make sure the safety latch works. When I bought the car last Nov, there was a short piece of rope to tie the hood shut as a safety latch. Apparently, the nose of the car was pushed back just enough from the bumper that the hood would latch, but the safety latch wouldn't line up. This will be fixed before a new hood goes on!

Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I'm one tough sumbitch!
          -------------------
          Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Yes, this time I will make sure the safety latch works. When I bought the car last Nov, there was a short piece of rope to tie the hood shut as a safety latch. Apparently, the nose of the car was pushed back just enough from the bumper that the hood would latch, but the safety latch wouldn't line up. This will be fixed before a new hood goes on!

Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I'm one tough sumbitch!
            -------------------
            Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Arrgh! I destroyed the hood on my '53 Coupe

I'm so pissed at myself & I'm sick.

Last week I decided to drive my '53 Stude to work, so popped the hood in anticipation of checking the oil & other stuff since it's been a couple weeks since I drove it.

Something else came up & I had to shuffle my cars around the yard/driveway, so I closed the hood, but didn't latch it because I knew I needed to check the oil, etc. Got busy rebuilding a distributor for another car that if I got it fixed, I was going to drive it to work instead of the Stude - got close, but ran out of daylight. I thought nothing of it because the Stude always runs pretty well.

Had to go to work very early - 5am - which meant it was still dark outside, so I didn't notice that my hood wasn't latched. As I pulled onto I-40 & accelerated down the on-ramp, I saw the hood bobble once & hit the brakes, but it was too late - hood came flying up at 50mph & destroyed it. Bent it over backwards on the roof - two dents in the roof & major gouges in the tops of the fenders to boot. I was just sick. Found some rope & tied it down (won't even come close to latching now)

So I'm on the hunt for a hood because I think I'm better off starting with another one. Got a wanted ad in several places, but no luck so far, so if anyone has got any leads, lemme know there (or pm me).

...I feel "tougher"[xx(]

-------------------

Comment

That stinks... I had the same thing happen on my Champ, which is when I learned that at least the standard cab Champs didn't even HAVE a safety catch!

Needless to say it will have one when it's put back together.

Jeff DeWitt
                Jeff DeWitt
                http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

That stinks... I had the same thing happen on my Champ, which is when I learned that at least the standard cab Champs didn't even HAVE a safety catch!

Needless to say it will have one when it's put back together.

Jeff DeWitt
                  Jeff DeWitt
                  http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

It has been many years since I sold my last good used '53-'54 C/K hood. There are some still out there and it is getting hard to locate them. Sometimes you have to buy a whole junker to get the parts that you want. I would suggest using one of the available fiberglass hoods until you locate a steel one. If all the rodders, especially those that cut large holes in the hood, would use fiberglass, there wouldn't be such a shortage of steel hoods.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It has been many years since I sold my last good used '53-'54 C/K hood. There are some still out there and it is getting hard to locate them. Sometimes you have to buy a whole junker to get the parts that you want. I would suggest using one of the available fiberglass hoods until you locate a steel one. If all the rodders, especially those that cut large holes in the hood, would use fiberglass, there wouldn't be such a shortage of steel hoods.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Sedan and coupe hoods are different
                        Frank van Doorn
                        Omaha, Ne.
                        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Sedan and coupe hoods are different
                          Frank van Doorn
                          Omaha, Ne.
                          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I saw a hood open up on a Hawk some years ago, I ended up modifying
                            mine to open reverse - like a Jag. A little harder to do on a '53,
                            but you have a bent hood to use for fabrication. I would suggest you
                            try and bend it back, use the opening on the car as your guide. Once
                            you get it close .. a body shop can do the rest, OR just take it to
                            a body shop and let them have at it. A good shop can do miracles, it
                            might be cheaper than a "new" hood (that might have already had the
                            same thing happen and been "repaired")! The Sedan is not the same as
                            the Coupes.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I saw a hood open up on a Hawk some years ago, I ended up modifying
                              mine to open reverse - like a Jag. A little harder to do on a '53,
                              but you have a bent hood to use for fabrication. I would suggest you
                              try and bend it back, use the opening on the car as your guide. Once
                              you get it close .. a body shop can do the rest, OR just take it to
                              a body shop and let them have at it. A good shop can do miracles, it
                              might be cheaper than a "new" hood (that might have already had the
                              same thing happen and been "repaired")! The Sedan is not the same as
                              the Coupes.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                              X