STUDEBAKER HOMECOMING - STUDEBAKER HAMILTON PLANT DEMOLITION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDEBAKER HOMECOMING - STUDEBAKER HAMILTON PLANT DEMOLITION

We have just secured permission from the owners of the Studebaker Hamilton property to schedule a final event at this historic location before the buildings are gone for good.

The STUDEBAKER HOMECOMING will be on SUNDAY OCTOBER 14TH at 1:00 PM. It will be held rain or shine. Interested members may bring their Studebakers to the Mars Avenue Guardhouse entrance which is directly opposite 36 Mars Avenue if you're using a GPS.

Please don't arrive earlier than 12:45 PM as we will not have the logistics in place before then. Studebakers will be placed concours style and each member will have the opportunity to have a picture taken of his/her car as if it were coming out the Completed Car Drive-Off back in the 40s, 50s or 60s.

Since the property is a highly secure area, you will not be allowed to wander the property into the demolition zone so please respect the security controls. We expect to have local Hamilton media coverage for this event.

If you are coming it would be helpful if you would RSVP me at schapman5@cogeco.ca or through this thread, so we have a rough idea of how many cars to expect.

Stu Chapman

Good luck with the homecoming. It'll be a day of special memories and a bit of sadness too. I hope you get a good turnout.

Best,
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
      We have just secured permission from the owners of the Studebaker Hamilton property to schedule a final event at this historic location before the buildings are gone for good.

The STUDEBAKER HOMECOMING will be on SUNDAY OCTOBER 14TH at 1:00 PM. It will be held rain or shine. Interested members may bring their Studebakers to the Mars Avenue Guardhouse entrance which is directly opposite 36 Mars Avenue if you're using a GPS.

Please don't arrive earlier than 12:45 PM as we will not have the logistics in place before then. Studebakers will be placed concours style and each member will have the opportunity to have a picture taken of his/her car as if it were coming out the Completed Car Drive-Off back in the 40s, 50s or 60s.

Since the property is a highly secure area, you will not be allowed to wander the property into the demolition zone so please respect the security controls. We expect to have local Hamilton media coverage for this event.

If you are coming it would be helpful if you would RSVP me at schapman5@cogeco.ca or through this thread, so we have a rough idea of how many cars to expect.

Stu Chapman
      Sure wish I had taken pictures when I picked up my '64 Daytona Wagonaire and drove it away from that lot.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Stu Chapman
        Just a reminder to let me know if you're planning on attending next Sunday. Thanks
        Stu Chapman

Comment

Perhaps a moot point, but I would suggest those who in possession of steel toed footwear, hardhat, safety goggles, and maybe a hi-viz vest may want to have these with them on the visit. This will show respect to the demolition company and may be the 'invitation' to further proceed to where the demo area is.

Craig
          Last edited by 8E45E; 10-09-2012, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            Perhaps a moot point, but I would suggest those who in possession of steel toed footwear, hardhat, safety goggles, and maybe a hi-viz vest may want to have these with them on the visit. This will show respect to the demolition company and may be the 'invitation' to further proceed to where the demo area is.

Craig
            I will bring my Studebaker hardhat from the tour of the new museum in SB
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Stu Chapman
              FINAL REMINDER
              If you're anywhere near Hamilton on Sunday, please join us at the Hamilton Studebaker Homecoming. It'll be your final chance to see Studebakers at the last manufacturing facility before it too is history.
              Stu Chapman

Comment

FINAL REMINDER
                If you're anywhere near Hamilton on Sunday, please join us at the Hamilton Studebaker Homecoming. It'll be your final chance to see Studebakers at the last manufacturing facility before it too is history.
                Stu Chapman
                ....just thought I'd bump this one....looking forward to this for sure !
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks to the demolition company to allow this event to take place. I hope many in attendance will take lots of pictures & video for those of us that are unable to make it & preserve the history. Thanks again Stu and all others that were involved for all your work & fine service for us all.
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

It's all over but the memories and looking at the pictures and video. The weather forecast was for rain but thanks to all the prayers, we had a nice sunny day. 33 Studebakers came back home where it all began and were photographed where they would have come off the line. We had at least 6 former employees show up as well as many of the neighbours who live across the street. It was great seeing all these Studebakers lined up in the compound as if they were ready for shipment to dealers. The plant roof is now down and much of the interior is demolished. The Hamilton Spectator and CHCH-TV covered the event. We'll get pictures posted within a day or so. It will still be several months before everything is levelled and I am sure we'll have more coverage as time goes on.
                    Stu Chapman

Comment

Good job Stu and it sure was fun! The weather was really great considering what was forcasted. It was so nice I went for a long drive on the way home.....figure it will be the last for the Daytona this year.
                      Looking forward to see what the news did with this.
                      sigpic

Comment

Great job Stu. You looked "spiffy" in your Studebaker WHITE hardhat and Studebaker jacket. It was wonderful to see all the cars and hear some of the history from the owners. One of the neighbours said when he was a kid in the neighbourhood he and his friends would stand on milk crates and look inside the windows of the plant and watch the cars being assembled. He was happy to see the cars again.

I say again GREAT JOB.
                        sigpic
                        55 President Deluxe
                        64 Commander
                        66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

If you go to my profile and under alblums , I have posted a few of the pictures i took today.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

Craig
                            Thanks Craig. I did just that!
                            Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                              Good job Stu and it sure was fun! The weather was really great considering what was forcasted. It was so nice I went for a long drive on the way home.....figure it will be the last for the Daytona this year.
                              Looking forward to see what the news did with this.
                              Just finished watching CHCH-TV News where they ran an extended-time clip of today's historical event which included some great archival film from the 50s and
                              60s. This will bring back many memories to those who viewed it. And thanks to all of you for your thanks and compliments. It was indeed a pleasure putting this event together, even though it caused a few tears to be shed.
                              Stu Chapman

Comment

Working...
                              X