Damaged rear axle thread repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Damaged rear axle thread repair

The threads were badly damaged on my tapered rear axles so I had to get a die to repair the threads. It worked perfect, the threads are like new. I'd like to offer up the die to anyone who might need to borrow one so you wouldn't need to buy one yourself. All I would ask is for you to take care of the return shipping. The die is 7/8" x 14.

Rich

I don't need it right now....but I'm sure someone does out here/there.....thx

Comment

Is this an ordinary die that cuts threads from the end? It may be hard to start on a mushroomed axle. I have always used a thread chaser for this application. It clamps over the axle and starts at the inner end of the threads.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

thread chaser

a thread chaser is what you want. It tends to straighten the threads rather than using a die which will cut away parts of your threads. cheers jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
        X