The Fifties a dog and a Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fifties a dog and a Studebaker

A funny Studebaker Story that I was told today. Well I went over to the Senior Citizens Village on Chestnut today I was in Mabel the 1949 Studebaker. The reason that I went there is I was looking for 50 Year old Cedar trees they produce a pine cone that looks like a Wood Rose. Well this older gentleman was watching me and he was waiting for me to walk across the street because he had a Studebaker Story to tell. He asked what year I said 1949 he said he had a 1947 Studebaker 4 door back in the middle Fifties.

He said he lived in Easton at the time and that he was employed to move the irrigation pipes every night him and three others. He said that old Studebaker would only go about 45 miles an hour it was screaming. They drove it for about 5 months that way. Then one night on their way to move the pipes a dog ran across the road in front of them . About this time I just knew he was going to say how they wrecked it. But no that wasn't it. This is great do you know yet? Well he said the driver let off the gas so that they would slow down and they missed the Dog. Then he gave it gas again and that old Studebaker just flew. Ya see it had Overdrive and they didn't know it. He laughed so hard telling that story. He thanked me for letting him tell it to me, I told him that I was going to share it with my local club and also that I was going to make him famous by putting it on the Forum so that all could enjoy it too.
    By Anne F. Goodman
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Nice story indeed!
    & it reminds me of a -50 Chrysler Windsor I had as a daily driver a few years ago, semi-automatic, you put it in 1:st gear & then only clutch for the next one & then normal-shift for the 3:rd & then clutch for the 4:th, only the fourth wouldn't work... until the day I was on the way with it to the new owner.

Comment

'Good one, Anne; what a hoot. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Cool. Jane Doe and I visit the senoir's home three times a week inthe 55K. Lots of comments from those sitting outside about their Stude stories. Certainly worth the price of admission
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Just thought that I would Bump this just in case anyone missed it. I think I'll submit it to Turning Wheels.
          Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          The Prez 1955 President State
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
          Fresno,Ca

Comment

Great story. Better to find you had an overdrive by accident than to knowingly have one and not know how to operate it.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

For some reason the overdrive seems mysterious to many folks. All you have to do is ignore it and it will do all the work by itself, but how many times have I seen the handle pulled out and left out?

Whenever I question them on that, the answer is usually vague, but it always tells me that they don't understand it. And they never understand my lectures on the ill effects of extremely high RPM's on an old engine.

How many old engines have died just because the handle was pulled out and the driver was ignorant? Too many!
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Years ago an older couple brought a '55 President Speedster (3spd.o/d) to a Freind of Mine's garage for some repairs and -same thing- the o/d handle was actually stuck
                in the 'out' position....they never used it!

Comment

Working...
                X