1929 Mark Triton watercolor print - Studebaker Plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1929 Mark Triton watercolor print - Studebaker Plant

So.... our chapter has come into the possession of a bit of artwork. It's a large (26" X 40") print of a birds-eye view of the Studebaker Plant circa 1929. The artwork is a water color by Mark Triton - who used to do a lot of posters from the little I can find in a quick Google search.

We are having a conservator repair the print - it has some cracks, tears, holes, a coffee cup stain, a bit of mildew, etc. - as it wasn't stored well, and was mounted on fiberboard (which absorbs water), and the matting and other papers were not acid-free. It's really in remarkable shape despite being stored in a barn for decades. The conservator says it was probably quite expensive back in the day, and probably not many prints were made - for executive's office, and so forth.

Does anyone know the history of these prints?
    We plan to have it repaired and reframed in order to auction it off at our Zone Meet next year.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Got a picture of it?
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

Not yet....
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

It's still being painted..........................

Comment

Never heard of the artist, but I would also like to see this. Sounds really interesting.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Yes, I believe I have one squirreled away. Believe they were offered to all dealers. If I find mine I will photograph it.
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Would this print be like the one on display at Cedar Rapids?
              Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO

Comment

Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                  Anyone else?
                  Is this that same "birds-eye view of the Studebaker Plant" by Mark Triton you refer to?
                  Last edited by Welcome; 10-03-2012, 09:14 AM.

Comment

The one I have is in color.
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

Is this that same "birds-eye view of the Studebaker Plant" by Mark Triton you refer to?
                      Yes, indeedy!

Comment

OK - if I wanted to get more information about this print, would I need to contact someone at the Studebaker National Museum? If yes, who would that person be? Thanks.

Comment

I would buy a reprint of that-it's awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                            OK - if I wanted to get more information about this print, would I need to contact someone at the Studebaker National Museum? If yes, who would that person be? Thanks.
                            The person to talk to would be Andy Beckman the archivist. However it is quite possible that he would simply refer you to me. There is no great mystery re these reproduction prints that were done in 1929. The set included the plant scene that you have and the Proving Ground. As I mentioned in my previous post they were offered to dealers for showroom display. They also did something similar in 1952 the Centennial year. I have both for 1929 and 1952.
                            Attached Files
                            Richard Quinn

Comment

The person to talk to would be Andy Beckman the archivist. However it is quite possible that he would simply refer you to me. There is no great mystery re these reproduction prints that were done in 1929. The set included the plant scene that you have and the Proving Ground. As I mentioned in my previous post they were offered to dealers for showroom display. They also did something similar in 1952 the Centennial year. I have both for 1929 and 1952.
                              Cool. Larry Tholen said if Andy didn't know, you would. Thanks so much, Dick. Now we need to get that print of the proving grounds to have a set.....

Comment

Working...
                              X