Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Radio static

62' gt hawk

I get a little radio static when i am in park, its not too bad, but when i hit the gas the static gets a lot worse. Any suggestions on what might cause this? Its the original AM radio if that helps.

Thanks!

You're suffering from ignition static. Filters/suppressors are sold at Radio Shack and other such stores. It's picked up in the antenna system.

Comment

Originally posted by BobGlasscock View Post
      You're suffering from ignition static. Filters/suppressors are sold at Radio Shack and other such stores. It's picked up in the antenna system.
      Where are they placed? Do I splice them into the antenna wire?

Comment

Be sure that you have supressor core plug wires as they will reduce static in your radio. Also check the ground connection between the block and the frame and I recommend adding a ground strap between the block and the firewall also. There are also supressor capacitors mounted on the generator armature terminal, the voltage regulator battery terminal and the positive terminal on the ignition coil. If the original capacitors are still in place, they are probably bad after 50 years. NAPA has replacement capacitors, the part number is RC1. The antenna and its connections can also be a problem especially if the antenna is mounted on the trunk lid. Bud

Comment

Just to add a little more insight: When i accelerate it goes to almost straight static, when i take my foot off the gas it clears up a little, when i hit the brakes the volume lowers and when i stop it is barely audible. weird

Comment

What you're hearing is probably not ignition caused but alternator or generator whine. Ignition static generally stays constant while alternator or generator whine increases and decreases with engine speed. Filters can be added to the voltage regulator or alternator/generator. If your car has condensers already mounted they could certainly have gone bad after all these years.

The problem may not be under the hood. The radio itself may need servicing. The circuitry could be going bad. You can buy a filter and wire it into the power lead to the radio.

Check your grounds under the hood. I'm not discounting the radio itself but most likely the problem is alternator/generator/voltage regulator related.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

One way to tell is to take off the fan belt. that will stop any noise coming from the generator. If the noise goes away, it was coming from the generator. if the noise stays, it's coming from the spark plug wires.

Also make sure that the antenna lead in wire outer shield is connected both at the antenna and at the radio. It is a coaxial wire. the center carries the signal and the jacket shields the signal from electrical noise.

There is also an adjustment on the radio that will tune the radio to match the characteristics of the car body. That allows maximum signal to go to the radio. I'll post instructions when I get back from some errands that must be done.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

CAR ANTENNA ADJUSTMENT INSTRUCTIONS

This procedure should be performed each time your car radio is repaired, removed & reinstalled in your car, the antenna is replaced, the radio has "engine noise" or the radio doesn't pull in all the stations it should.

This procedure will electrically match the radio to the antenna & car body for maximum signal sensitivity.

HERE'S HOW
                The only tools needed are a flashlight and a small screwdriver.

1. Locate the antenna trimmer. Some radios have a small screw recessed into the case of the radio, and some radios have a protruding, knurled knob. On later models (1958 and newer) a screw is often under the tuning knob and can be accessed when the tuning knob is removed from the front of the radio. On older models it is near the antenna lead-in wire. This is the fat, round wire that plugs into the radio from the antenna. Sometimes the trimmer will say "ANT" or "ANT ADJ." next to it.

2. Wait until night time if possible.

3. Turn on the radio and let it warm up for 15 to 20 minutes. Leave the antenna at its normal height. Turn the key to the accessory position (engine off).

4. On the high end of the AM band (1400 kHz or higher) locate a weak station and tune it in as well as you can. NOTE: Do not tune in a strong station poorly. It must be a weak , distant station tuned in properly.

5. Turn the volume control down to a low level. Next adjust the antenna trimmer for maximum volume and bass response. Rock the trimmer back and forth on both sides of maximum volume (just as you would tune in a station) to make sure the trimmer is on the right spot.

6. Pick out another weak, distant station and adjust the trimmer again. Keep the volume low enough to tell what you are doing. This completes the operation. Pull yourself out from under the dash and straighten the kinks out of your bones!

HERE'S WHY
                Here is an explanation of what you did and why you did it.

1. To adjust it, first you've got to find it!

2. After dark the atmospheric conditions change, allowing long distance AM radio reception. Some stations go off the air after dark so the band is less cluttered.

3. Warming up the radio assures that it will not drift while you make the adjustment. While AM reception will be better with the antenna fully extended, it only makes sense to adjust the radio to the antenna height you will be using. If you have an AM/FM radio, do this adjustment on the AM band.

4. The circuits are more critical at the high end of the band. Using a weak station assures that the radio's Automatic Volume Control (AVC) is deactivated during the adjustment.

5. Keeping the volume control low allows you to tell more easily when maximum volume is reached.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Well that explains it! Thanks Roy! I need to do that to the one in my Avanti, it's behind the tuning knob.

Jim
                  "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                  their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
                    Well that explains it! Thanks Roy! I need to do that to the one in my Avanti, it's behind the tuning knob.

Jim
                    Jim, you are most welcome.

As you know, Avanti's are inherently noisy, since the Fiberglas body does not stop radio signals. This adjustment may help, but all of your shielding must be in place and properly grounded as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X