General Studebaker Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Studebaker Questions

Ok so I am pretty new to the world of studes and have a few questions.

Do I need to use leaded gas? The motor is a 63'. So far I have ran it without lead, but not for very long. I was in the process of getting it running at the time.

Will modern oils with detergents hurt the motor?

Where can I find a spin on style oil filter?

Can I convert the motor from spin on filter to canister? If so, how easy is it to get a canister filter?

How hard is it to convert the to an electronic ignition?

I have a nice GM alternator, will it work on this car?

I heard one can mount a ford top loader 4 speed to the Studebaker motor but needs an adapter.. is this true? Has anyone tried this?

Finally, do local Automotive stores carry parts like clutch plates and etc? (3 speed with over drive)

You've all been great help with my questions so far and I thank you very much. The Studebaker community has to be one of the most knowledgeable and friendly communities I have ever joined. Thanks!

I can tell you unleaded gas is fine, but the ethanol is known to deteriorate rubber parts (like diaphrams in the fuel pump) over time. I've never had any trouble. Do NOT use E-15 or greater fuels. Most in the know will say to add ZDDP additive, but there are lots of discussions about that on the forum and in Turning Wheels magazine.

Modern oils are good to use.

I know many people have put in Pertronix electronic ignition. Some think it's good and some don't.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

As for the oil filter, I use AC PF24 which can be found at most any parts stores. I also use the "WIX" brand but don't have the part number for that one.
      As far as the oil, there has been many discussions on it, and in The Turning Wheels Magazine.
      Use the search tab and be prepared for lots of reading.
      George King
      Grants Pass, Oregon
      64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Originally posted by evilhawk View Post
        Ok so I am pretty new to the world of studes and have a few questions.

Do I need to use leaded gas? The motor is a 63'. So far I have ran it without lead, but not for very long. I was in the process of getting it running at the time.

Will modern oils with detergents hurt the motor?

Where can I find a spin on style oil filter?

Can I convert the motor from spin on filter to canister? If so, how easy is it to get a canister filter?

How hard is it to convert the to an electronic ignition?

I have a nice GM alternator, will it work on this car?

I heard one can mount a ford top loader 4 speed to the Studebaker motor but needs an adapter.. is this true? Has anyone tried this?

Finally, do local Automotive stores carry parts like clutch plates and etc? (3 speed with over drive)

You've all been great help with my questions so far and I thank you very much. The Studebaker community has to be one of the most knowledgeable and friendly communities I have ever joined. Thanks!
        I havent seen leaded gasoline in 25 years. I do however use non-ethanol gasoline.
        I use regular 30 weight detergent oil and add some zinc additive to it as I have read that the zinc is needed to lubricate the camshaft & lifters.
        Go to your local auto supply store and tell them you need a spin-on oil filter for a 1963 Studebaker V8 engine. If their books dont cover it, do a search for a brand with part number. You can use either short or long filters.
        I wouldnt convert to a canister simply because of the cost, but I imagine used canister housings are available.
        The Pertronix electronic ignition module will not fit in a standard Prestolite distributor. You can purchase a used Delco unit for a Stude V8 and add Pertronix to that or purchase a ready-made electronic distributor from a Studebaker parts vendor.
        You can add any brand of alternator, but you may need to fabricate a custom mount bracket.
        I dont know anything about the Ford top loader, but you could certainly add a Borg-Warner T-10 4-speed as they were used by Studebaker.
        Local auto supply stores carry lots of Studebaker parts provided that they are shared with other makes of cars.
        Good luck!
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Your spin-on filter is ubiquitous. See page two of Nate's interchange list.
          http://www.georgiastudebaker.com/Interchange.pdf

I use Hastings LF212
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

You can purchase a kit to put a T5 Ford transmission from Phil Harris. Did it on R2 Clone. Jim

Comment

Thank you everyone for the information. I really appreciate it!

Comment

The best thing to do is spend more time researching your car. find out what it is and what it is not. Don't rush into taking it apart, or deciding that it needs to be redesigned. There is a very active Studebaker community in Minnesota, (wish i would have known them when I lived there, but that was 40 years ago) so get to know those guys and toss ideas around. Your Hawk is very drivable and usable as it is, with only repairs. the original design is very sound.

There are lots of good ideas, and some far out whacky ones, here on the forum.

Welcome to the world of Studebakers. they are misunderstood by the general public, but well loved by we enthusiasts.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                X