PDA

View Full Version : 1957 goldenhawk worth it?

maineiac
09-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Hi, I am new here and have a chance to buy the car pictured below. Owner claims he has the carburetor and the interior door panels but is missing some trim items. He claims the floors have been redone and the rockers have been redone for rust reasons. The engine is siezed from sitting and after talking to someone at the Studebaker museum the car would not have had a floor shifter. The seller is looking for $7500.00 what do you all think about the price and potential of this car? I never bought a car this old so your help will be appreciated. Thanks.

below is the description from the ad

This add is for a '57 Studebaker Golden Hawk. Vehicle is in need of complete restoration. Extensive work was done to replace/repair fenders floors, trunk bed, rockers and panels as necessary to eliminate rust. Over $11K invested, but project was held up for family and much work is necessary to bring her back. The engine is frozen from sitting idle. Interior needs to be renewed as well. Chrome and trim is in storage with exception of bumpers and light mouldings. One chrome piece is missing. Rear fender trim that covers screws/rivets is in poor condition and should be replaced.
This is a complete car requiring a significant investment but worth the effort to someone with the skill and support necessary. The title will be as a reconstructed vehicle due to lack of notary seal on transfer of title.

ADDED A FEW MORE PICTURES
ALSO THE BODY PLATE FROM THE FIREWALL READS
57H-K7 (FIRST LINE), 2517 (SECOND LINE)

ANYONE KNOW WHAT THOSE NUMBERS/LETTERS MEAN?

64V-K7
09-25-2012, 06:19 PM
Pluses ...They only made 42 or so with a stick/OD ..... the exterior looks pretty straight,.......floors look good... and it appears to be all there.

minuses: missing air box. If all the trim is missing, that's a major deduction. and the chop job for the attempted floor shift. The engine puts the whole thing in limbo, but it may just need some TLC to get spinning again.

Not a bad price, if you can do a lot of the work yourself..

SN-60
09-25-2012, 06:32 PM
To maineiac,----You really need to get under this car to check condition of the sub-floor 'boxes' and the frame itself. (I take it Lawrenceville is in Maine?) If it is in Maine, I was told there was a
stick O/D '57 Golden up there (in this color combo) that was originally purchased in Mass. for use by the State Police as a pursuit vehicle....I wonder if this is it? Anyway, if the car still has a
bottom to it, $7500.00 is OK.

Anne F. Goodman
09-25-2012, 07:22 PM
where is the supercharger pulleys? I don't see them either plus is has a red whirl y thing on it instead of a black one. Was covered in a tarp so lots of condensation equals rust

Roscomacaw
09-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Man - looking at those photos, his assessment of "needs total restoration" is on the mark! Even IF you do most of the mechanical work yourself, I'd wager you'll end up "upside down" in the thing. We have a resident expert here who got one of these for $1500 some time back. It was a solid example needing everything. When he was done (and he did most of the mechanicals himself) he had 20-some thjousand in it. In selling it subsequently, he got a couple grand for all his efforts.
I'd say - if you want one, tell yourself how much it's gonna cost to redo this one (and it's gotta be more than our expert spent a decade ago) and just go spend that much for one you can drive and enjoy.

whacker
09-25-2012, 07:41 PM
If you can do a lot of the work yourself, it would be a fair deal. You are easily going to sink $10,000 to $15,000 bux into a restoration (maybe more), for a car that will be worth about $20,000 to maybe $25,000 when you are done. Prices have been going up on these, so it might be worth a little more when you are done. If you have to farm out all or most of the labor and paint, you will be over your head in no time. So, like I say, it would be a fair deal if you have the tools, skill, and can do most of the labor yourself (and if you value your labor at $0)!

jbwhttail
09-25-2012, 07:46 PM
$7,500.00 is the cheapest part of this restoration project! Dash is terrible, outside chrome is badly pitted. carpet headliner, door panels ect........ Strip the paint and who knows what is under it, then too the engine. From wht I can see it is a long snout supercharger, just painted the wrong color. Seized engine= rebuild. My guess is about an additional $30,000.00 to restore. That is if you do alot of the work.

jbwhttail
09-25-2012, 08:01 PM
I went back and read all the comments (including mine), the car is worth the asking price. The bad news is it is going to take aserious investment of cash to restore. Good news............. EVERYTHING this car could possibly need is available today! All it takes is cash and commitment........ GO FOR IT!

BobPalma
09-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Doug: What jbw said as to "value," as noted above.

I noticed no one has anwered your question as to what all the numbers mean on the firewall tag, so here 'tis:

57H-K7 means:

57: 1957 model year body shell
H: President series (289 engine minimum; supercharged on Golden Hawk)
K: 2-door, pillarless hardtop body style
7: Trim Level; 7 is the highest (fanciest) in 1957, which is how a Golden Hawk would be "trimmed."

2517: This is the sequential body number of this style; in other words, the number of the type denoted on the top line.

In this case, 2517 simply means it was the 2,517th 57H-K7 body "tub" welded up that would become a 1957 Golden Hawk. Any relationship between that number and the car's legal Serial Number (the number stamped on the stainless-steel plate on the driver's door hinge post) is coincidental. Generally speaking, the higher the serial number, the higher the body number, but it's not an exact science.

As has been mentioned, there are not that many factory stick overdrive Golden Hawks extant. That alone would add 10% to the finished car's "value," IMHO, and is a big plus when considering this car. Most of the stick overdrive cars were torn up in hard driving, and there weren't 'nearly as many of them to begin with. BP

RadioRoy
09-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Bob just said it as I was typing.

PackardV8
09-25-2012, 09:31 PM
First, I've seen, bought and eventually driven cars which were much worse. If one is looking to get in to the high dollar end of Studebaker ownership through investing sweat equity, well, "Hope springs eternal in the human breast." That's why an ugly baby like this siezed-engine-missing-parts '57 GH will sell eventually. Just not to me. Back in the day when a project like this was less than $1k and the shelves were still full of NOS parts for cheap and I was forty years younger, maybe I'd have given it a try. However, that was then and this is now; owner has sunk $11k into it and is further behind than he started and is taking a $3500 loss. "but worth the effort to someone with the skill and support necessary." should indicate the magnitude of the task. He couldn't do it but surely someone from the planet Krypton can. Having been there and done it too many times to ever go there again, I'd take out a second mortgage and buy the best '57 GH I could find. Your results may vary.

jack vines

rockne10
09-25-2012, 10:16 PM
I always enjoy Jacks concise analysis. Spot on.

candbstudebakers
09-25-2012, 11:12 PM
One thing to keep in mind is how close is this car to you? that is where the bucks start to add up, I to have a couple of these sitting in my shop, both need total restore but California sheet metal is better, mine is a auto with power windows and power seat, running gear needs rebuild, mine is complete and in black primer about the same price with clear California title.

Swiss-Goldenhawk
09-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Seems to be a big project.:!:

PackardV8
09-26-2012, 12:16 PM
One piece of info we haven't seen on this thread, so just asking, anyone have an Old Cars Price Guide at hand? What are #1,2,3,4 '57 GH putatively worth these days?

If one believes the one high dollar auction sale, which I don't, a $7,500 '57 GH project could be professionally restored and sold for $75,000-100,000 and thus a large profit.

We have a resident expert here who got one of these for $1500 some time back. It was a solid example needing everything. When he was done (and he did most of the mechanicals himself) he had 20-some thousand in it. In selling it subsequently, he got a couple grand for all his efforts. That one of our members sold one he restored for much less is more the real world. Your results may vary.

I know from recent first hand experience, a professional paint job will start at $10,000 and a professionally rebuilt engine starts at $3,000. This car will need both of those.

jack vines

Swiss-Goldenhawk
09-26-2012, 12:22 PM
http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vc=1028722

Value for 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk
Condition 1 is around $ 50,000 | Condition 2 around $38,000 | Condition 3 around $ 24,000 | Condition 4 around $15,000 value

SN-60
09-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Whatever the monetary value, it sure would be fun to cruise around in a supercharged '57 Golden Hawk for a while.....especially with that neat and quite rare stick-shift!

kirkdob
09-26-2012, 11:48 PM
I was at Mecum Monterey this year and the car pictured (Bob Patrick's former Hawk for you CA Bay Area folks) sold for 32k, and it was nice. You would be hard pressed to get that car in shape for that amount.

K-Hawk
09-27-2012, 03:11 AM
It is only worth what someone will pay for it. If you can afford a turnkey car, purchase it and enjoy it the same day you own it. You will be money and time ahead. There is a remarkable 63 avanti on Craigs list in Phoenix, reportedly all redone at studebaker factory many upgrades. It also comes with extra engine, gauges....... perhaps you could sell extra parts for 10.000 then you have a great car for 26.000. I don't think 7500.00 pulse another 15.000 and 2 years to get on the road is what most of us want we want drive our car the day we buy it. Nice 62 on phoenix craigs list 17.000 has been there a while may be willing to deal drive i tanywhere.cks - by owner
please flag with care: [?]

miscategorized

prohibited

spam/overpost

best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
1963 Studebaker Avanti (glendale)
Date: 2012-09-22, 5:05AM MST
Reply to: see below

1963 Studebaker Avanti
Only 147 Miles since Avanti factory frame off restoration in 1990. Total miles: 28,692
I am the forth owner of this Avanti. The third owner purchased this from the second owner in the late 70's. The second owner purchased it from the original owner in the mid to late 60's. The original owner bought it from the Studebaker dealer here in Phoenix in 1963.
This vehicle has tons of ownership and maintenance documentation .
About 1988, the third owner shipped the car to the Avanti factory in South Bend, Indiana. At the time, the factory was offering total restorations for their Avanti customers (Total cost $20K+). This Avanti was completely disassembled. The original 289 engine and the original 2 speed auto transmission were crated on a pallet, as well as every original part that was taken off the vehicle was boxed and shipped back to the third owner.
A rare 350 cu in crate engine was installed in this Avanti ( This was a rare ZZZ designated engine with aluminum heads, a roller cam and special pistons. Only about a thousand were sold by GM. Info available on the internet) A Turbo 400 Automatic Transmission was also installed.
Everything was gone through and inspected, new interior was installed, fiberglass body completely refinished, new tires, new old school mag wheels and so on and so on.
About 1991 the car was shipped back to the third owner who drove it home from the train depot and never it drove again. Fast forward 20 years. In 2011, I acquired the vehicle with 26 miles on it and had to do the usual things to get the vehicle in running condition (Total cost $4k+). Vehicle now runs, drives, and operates as it should with no issues.
This sale includes the vehicle, all the documentation (production order line ticket, owner's manual, complete service and parts manuals, warranty info, receipts, etc) , and all the original parts (engine, trans, gauges, everything)
Asking price: $36,000
The above history is the short version. For more questions call Paul @ 6O2-469-2588 check it out on craigst list phoenix

This car is also on cragis list next car 62 Hawk 17.000 All stock 4 speed posi, A/C Fresh paint summer 2010. Call Bill 480-415-4343 No emails please
PRICE REDUCED FROMM22K

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 3288494334

No contact info?
if the poster didn't include a phone number, email, or