Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: amps rating headlight relay Auto-Lite HRB-4201

Hallo.
    I'm new to this forum. and have a question on the headlight relay Auto-Lite #HRB-4201 used in (I think) 1940-1941 Hudson/ 1939 Studebaker). How many amps is this relay rated for.
    I've got a 1955 Plymouth suburban. The electrical system 6V. I have a 2V drop in the wiring. By using 2 relays, one for headlight and one for highbeam, I can shorten the wire length by about 5m (15 feet). Thus having more voltage at the light bulbs.
    I need about 22-25 amps rating as the headlights are 55W.
    I've seen that when you buy this relay there is also a fuse next to the relay. Is this a special one? Socket is shown on the right of the picture 1 and 3.
    Picture downloaded from this seller, www.ebay.com/itm/Autol...0953131247
    Thanks.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	HRB-4201-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	1736505Click image for larger version

Name:	HRB-4201-2.jpg
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1736506Click image for larger version

Name:	HRB-4201-3.jpg
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	1736507Click image for larger version

Name:	HRB-4201-4.jpg
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	1736508

This has some tech info on that part but does not give the current rating of the contacts:

Clayton Restorations Specializes in Restoring Pre-WWII Senior Classic Cars & Vintage Cars. Top of the Line Premium Antique Auto Restorations in Castle Rock, CO

Amazes me that there was a expectation someone would take apart such a relay and adjust it! Similar items today are sealed and not serviceable.

I think I'd look for a Bosch 141-951-251 C SP as used for horn relays on old VW's. I would think easier to find in europe? They are a more modern type with plastic housing and blade tabs but what you are doing is not original anyway. Normally, a circuit breaker is used instead of a fuse with the headlights. That way, if there is a fault, the lights may flash on and off instead of being completely out. Supposedly a little safer since you do get a little bit of light! At least enough to pull off the road.

Research on that VW relays shows others have used it for headlights.

Jeff in ND

Comment

The 1955 Plymouth wiring diagram in Motor's Handbook doesn't show any circuit protection in the headlight wiring, but there must be a fuse or circuit breaker somewhere. Check your Plymouth shop manual or owner's guide. Use a fuse of the same value that will fit in the relay fuse holder.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I know this is not in original to the Plymouth wiring but want to solve this problem and have the old looks, so I would like to stick to old relay's as they look better then the modern plastic one.
        Where can I find the rating for this relay?

Comment

Try here............. http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=25
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
          X