PDA

View Full Version : Salt Lake City to California by way of Bonnevile

candbstudebakers
09-24-2012, 07:44 PM
On our way home from the zone meet in Salt Lake City my grand son wanted to stop at Bonneville and take a picture or two, we would have taken the hawk off and made a run or two but were in a hurry to get him back to Sacramento and we did , left SLC at 7:30 AM and had him home in Sacramento at 7:30 PM not bad little under 650 miles with making some stops along the way and pulling the trailer and car...Bob

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/IM004660.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/IM004658.jpg

Pat Dilling
09-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Nice Bob! Isn't a law that Studebakers have to stop when going past Bonneville?

spokejr
09-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Bob,

You really didn't want to unload that nice a car on the salt. I was there 2 weeks ago after the BUB event, really slushy at the apron there. My poor Suzuki spent a whole weekend with a lawn sprinkler running over her, rinsing off the salt. And I wasn't competing, just ran out ot where the stripes were for the course.

Ken

JRoberts
09-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Ken, you are right about the salt on your vehicle, even if isn't slushy. Several years when i was out there, I hit the local car wash and spent several dollars in change trying to get all of the salt off of my F150. At that time the only car wash in Wendover was a two bay wand type car wash. Needless to say there was quite a long line of folks cleaning off salt. Lucky for me on the way out of Utah I got into a terrible rain storm that seemed to get everything I missed in Wendover off of the truck. Still, a circle on the Salt is tempting if for nothing other than a photo op.

Bob, Your grandson has an eye for the important stuff when traveling. You need to take him to Speed Week and he'll go nuts.

Milaca
09-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Bob, if you want to see your beautiful Hawk on some white stuff, send it to me and I will photograph it this winter on my snow covered driveway. Good luck trying to get your car back though. :)

candbstudebakers
09-25-2012, 11:16 PM
Ken, you are right about the salt on your vehicle, even if isn't slushy. Several years when i was out there, I hit the local car wash and spent several dollars in change trying to get all of the salt off of my F150. At that time the only car wash in Wendover was a two bay wand type car wash. Needless to say there was quite a long line of folks cleaning off salt. Lucky for me on the way out of Utah I got into a terrible rain storm that seemed to get everything I missed in Wendover off of the truck. Still, a circle on the Salt is tempting if for nothing other than a photo op.

Bob, Your grandson has an eye for the important stuff when traveling. You need to take him to Speed Week and he'll go nuts.

My grandson has been there before, like when he was 11 he drove the 67 Avanti at 75 miles an hour from about 2 miles out. we do plan on a speed week and the PSMCRS in the future together and then there is the South Bend Swap in May that will be him And I for the first time on an adventure.

JRoberts
09-26-2012, 06:04 AM
Then it looks like you have found a great traveling buddy. You are a lucky man.

candbstudebakers
09-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Ya and he wants to go into restoring Studebakers so we have talked about keeping the shop when the 3 year lease runs out, only time will tell, still needs to finish his last year of high school.