need help with Speedster dash restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: need help with Speedster dash restoration

I am restoring my 55 Speedster and am stuck on the dash. Can anyone tell me what the material was used for the dash? Mine has some warping and I need to know how to restore to it's correct position. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm sure someone out there has had a similar problem with a warping dash. please help!

thanks so much!!!
    Mod55

I believe it is ABS. I used some ABS shavings from black plumbing fittings mixed with ABS glue to make a slurry to patch cracks. It adhered well. I reinforced some with mesh tape. Just apply several thin coats or it will take quite a while to dry. I am learning to live with the warping.
    I did see a Speedster dash at the International that had been covered with vinyl. That allowed repair (filling I assume) of the warped areas and looked very nice.

Comment

It was originally made from a material called "Royalite" what ever that was! It might be possible to use a heat gun, and reform it , then cool it with a spray mist of water when it's close to the desired shape. Work it in small areas.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Using heat on it would scare me. I have heard that Rene Harger with Southeast Studebaker has reproduced the dash.

Comment

I've heard from a couple of different sources that applying heat could create even more problems. so that scares me a bit. I'll reach out to Rene at Southwest. I already purchased an 'engine turned' dash panel from him...nice!

Comment

A bit off-topic, but I just saw a 1955 Speedster dash on Ebay, wow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Studeba...36f547&vxp=mtr
            Last edited by Swiss-Goldenhawk; 10-08-2012, 10:03 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X